• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Means of Egress Illumination

Paul Sweet

Sawhorse
IBC 1006.1&2 (2003, 06, & 09 editions) require the means of egress, including the exit discharge, to be illuminated to one footcandle at all times the building space served by the means of egress is occupied, with certain exceptions.

Does this section also require the space served by the means of egress to be illuminated at all times the space is occupied, or can all the lights within a room be manually switched on and off?

If the space must be illuminated at all times the space is occupied, what is the threshold for requiring fixtures that can't be manually switched off? One occupant? Two occupants? More?

The Exit Access would have to be illuminated, as part of the total MOE!

This illumination would be part of the MOE lighting requirements.

I know that the exit access must be illuminated, and egress lighting can't be manually switched. What I'm trying to get at is whether lighting within a room, before you go out a door to a corridor, must have one or more lights which are always on when the room is occupied.

Paul Sweet said:
I know that the exit access must be illuminated, and egress lighting can't be manually switched. What I'm trying to get at is whether lighting within a room, before you go out a door to a corridor, must have one or more lights which are always on when the room is occupied.
Paul isn't this based upon the size of the room and number of exits and distance required to travel?

Paul,

There are minimum lighting requirements for habitable spaces. See Section

1205.1 & 1205.3 in the 2006 IBC.

Section 1205.1:

Every space intended for human occupancy shall be provided with natural light by means

of exterior glazed openings in accordance with :Next('./icod_ibc_2006f2_12_par019.htm')'>Section 1205.2, or shall be provided with

artificial light in accordance with :Next('./icod_ibc_2006f2_12_par022.htm')'>Section 1205.3. Exterior glazed openings shall open

directly onto a public way or onto a yard or court in accordance with :Next('./icod_ibc_2006f2_12_par026.htm')'>Section 1206.

Section 1205.3:

Artificial light shall be provided that is adequate to provide an average illumination of

10 foot-candles (107 lux) over the area of the room at a height of 30 inches (762 mm)

above the floor level.

Is this what you are looking for? :confused:

No paul you can turn the lights off in your space while napping. not a code violation.

the exitway lighting can be on occupancy sensors but the EXIT Lights must be on

when the BUILDING is occupied asleep in office or not.