• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Mechanical Room Access Points

Yankeebubba

I am designing the basic floor plan of my retirement home and I have a question. Can you have a single point of access ( i.e., door, no window) to a mechanical room (i.e., HVAC, Electric, Water heater, etc.) from inside a bathroom? I have been told that this may not meet building code requirements since it is a bathroom access point, please advise.

If it does not meet code, do you know a fix/exception to the rule other than adding another door? I will gladly add necessary ventilation, raised floor, etc. or other safety requirements to elevate any building code issues.

If it helps: Mechanical room is 8'6"X 9'2" and the bathroom is 10'3" X 12'4"

Is the bathroom attached to a bedroom

Gas, propane or electric appliances

FYI... The Bedroom is at the far end of the bathroom ( i.e., 12' between Bedroom and Mechanical room). This may not make a difference but I thought better to know and not need it , than to need it and not have it. In addition, the only door to the bathroom is from within the bedroom.

If the equipment is not IN the bedroom or bathroom it shouldn't be an issue, might need to pay attention as I do not believe you can take combustion air from that bedroom, but if it is direct vent or CA is obtained by some other means, it should be OK...