• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Mechanical room requirements for fire safety etc..

No Soup for you

I have an existing 1950's single family home, a mechanical room in the basement with a "family room" on the plans.
The mechanical room does not have walls around it now. They are doing some renovations.

The architect submitted plans showing a 2x4 wall around the mechanical room w 1/2" sheetrock on habitable space side.
I noted to put 5/8" firecode sheetrock on the ceiling and walls in the mech room. with a rated self closing door.

Mechanical room has an oil fired furnace, propane water heater, washer/dryer

The architect called me out on the 5/8" firecode sheetrock.
I always request that in a mech room. But, for the life of me I cant find it in the 2020 code.

Did I just make this code up for years? :)
Any help or direction would be appreciated.

I think the "Man who Draws" has you covered.

I'm thinking (today only), the only place needing 5/8 TYPE-X is in a garage separating the living (habitable) areas like bedrooms above. Any structures holding up the floor like beams and post would need a minimum protection of 1/2-inch, see IRC 2021 Table R302.6.

Now if that mechanical room is under a set of stairs and its walled in, you'll need to drywall the bottom of the stairs but if not, no requirement for drywall unless your AHJ has modified the code.

If there's fire breathing appliances, make sure your thinking about combustion air for those appliances, hi-low venting might be in order.

Tiger Code maybe?

Yes, I know the garage separation requirements, thanks.

I used to work in another municipality (a City) for years, maybe they were more stringent?? and I have just kept with that requirement in my own head?.
(I emailed my friend there to double check with him)

I spent about two hours today going through every book, IRC, IBC, fire, fuel gas,mech. plumbing. prop maintenance etc... :)

The guy I work with (technically my boss) says just tell him he has to do it,.... I dont work that way.

The door, self closing , gasketed is required from a mech room to a "bedroom" but the wall doesnt have to be sealed entirely? seems crazy

Thanks for the replies