• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Mechanical Wells

Mule

Platinum Member
Okay, help me out here. I'm reviewing a 175,000 sq ft middle school and on the mechanical plans the architect is showing three different areas and calling them "Mechanical Well Piping".

It looks more like an arobic system.

Is this what it is? There's not much in the way of "what the heck is it!" Before I start asking questions about it, I would like to sound like I know what I am talking about!

377361493.jpg

Re: Mechanical Wells

Thanks, guess I need to go back to the mechanical specification page and see if there is any type of designation.

Anything special to look for?

They're few and far between here, although I have a new SFR with a system going in.

Check-

IMC chap. 12

Hydronic piping distribution

Elec. requirements for heat pumps etc.

Manufacturers specs for equipment

Thanks, I spoke with the architects this AM and it is geo-thermal system. The architect said they enlarged the diagram to show where the area actually was for clarification purposes only.

That's some pretty interesting stuff!

Mule,

Recommend documentation of and pressure testing of all piping utilized. I had one of these in my area and neighbor residents complained about their wells being effected. It is and will continue to be a legal battle.