• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Medical Office sink requirement?

Jorge

Dear community,
I cannot find in the building code or in local ordinances the requirement for the sink you typically see in a doctor's office.
Does anybody know who regulates this?

Thank you,

Jorge - Florida

Thank you Fatboy. I was not able to find it in NFPA 101. I was thinking AHCA or OSHA, but I could not find the exact language requiring this, or listing different compliance methods, in case it is a requirement.

$ ~ $

Jorge,

Yes, there is still a requirement to have Sinks in Exam Rooms.
REASON(S): The Centers For Disease Control & OSHA require
physicians to wash their hands before & after actually touching \
examining the human body......It is to reduce the potential of
spreading diseases, ...blood borne pathogens & other communicable
diseases........Also, I believe that physicians insurance providers
require "approved methods to reduce the potential of lawsuits."

$ ~ $

Your state Department of Health probably has that requirement, or a reference to the Facility Guidelines Institute (FGI) which publishes a document called Guidelines for Design and Construction of Hospitals and Outpatient Facilities. Also possibly NFPA 99.