• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

meeting thermal requirements on existing building reno

Hyrax4978

Looking to modify an existing exposed canopy(exterior storage) to create an interior small machine shop.
foundation and structure aside, building new walls is easy to meet energy code for new construction. The existing roof is another story/expense. Comcheck alterations appear to requires each element of the building (roof, walls etc) to meet the required U value independently of other elements. Its my understanding that when doing new construction there are trade offs if the roof design is much better than code minimum then that can compensate(potentially) for a portion of the walls not meeting the requirement. Because this is a change of use i would assume all elements of the envelope must be upgraded. But it would be nice to get trade offs so i can provide extra efficient walls in lieu of upgrading the roof insulation. Is there a place in the code(aside from comcheck) that i can look to clarify the extent of thermal upgrades required since there is an existing roof/insulation in place, it just does not meet the minimum for a roof. And not having trade offs will add an extra expense we would like to avoid.

IECC Chapter C5 in the 2015 edition.
Change of use in Chapter C5 only gives you a break if energy use is not increased.
Alterations have a few more breaks in Chapter C5, but not many.
Since these requirements start at the Federal level, we'll have to see what happens to the federal mandate in the near future...