• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Meets IRC????

Garage against house

Might take it for a spin once in awhile ?? Just to keep the battery charged

Shirley you've heard of this:
R302.6 Dwelling/garage and/or carport fire separation. The garage and/or carport shall be separated as required by Table R302.6. Openings in garage walls shall comply with Section R302.5. Attachment of gypsum board shall comply with Table R702.3.5. The wall separation provisions of Table R302.6 shall not apply to garage walls that are perpendicular to the adjacent dwelling unit wall.

About 30 years ago I visited a friend in Las Vegas, the house was a typical one story tract house that had the garage slab poured way back with a wall and family room behind the garage, the side wall fo the family room was open with a step up to the kitchen and rest of the house. He had removed the wall between the garage and family room and carpeted the slab to the garage door, in the garage portion he had two classic cars and a pool table in what was the family room, it was quite nice to have guys shooting pool with two very nice cars, those cars were worth more than most people.

Is it a display?
Is it a new system that has a better fire rating than drywall and there is documentation to back it up?
Alternative methods and material............

At what point does it become a display?....I parked my Korean War Willys Jeep for 2 years, but it was still a "car" the whole time....Not a motor vehicle if it doesn't have a motor?

Oddly, no definition in IRC.....Closest thing I can find:

GARAGES AND CARPORTS
R309.1 Floor surface. Garage floor surfaces shall be of
approved noncombustible material.
The area of floor used for parking of automobiles or other
vehicles
shall be sloped to facilitate the movement of liquids
to a drain or toward the main vehicle entry doorway.

Residential sprinklers will fix everything....

Last edited:
Spare no taxpayer expense....I have a school finishing up now with a ton of firelight.

Indoor fuel pump looks a little weird, NFPA allow that?

And no definition of """"garage""""

I guess code gurus cannot agree what a garage is ?

And no definition of """"garage""""

I guess code gurus cannot agree what a garage is ?
Garage per chapter 2 Residential code- refer to Wabsters 3rd new world dictionary
Definition of Garage by Merriam-Webster
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/garage
Definition of garage for English Language Learners. : a building or part of a building in which a car, truck, etc., is kept. : a shop where vehicles are repaired

Garage per chapter 2 Residential code- refer to Wabsters 3rd new world dictionary
Definition of Garage by Merriam-Webster
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/garage
Definition of garage for English Language Learners. : a building or part of a building in which a car, truck, etc., is kept. : a shop where vehicles are repaired

Boy I guess that is hard to get adopted into the base code

Definition of garage

Actually in the code

Just like a few more should be there

Definition of garage
Actually in the code
Just like a few more should be there
And people wonder why the residential code is over 600 pages
They cannot make it idiot proof.
Everyday Definitions should NOT be in the code....

And people wonder why the residential code is over 600 pages
They cannot make it idiot proof.
Everyday Definitions should NOT be in the code....

Too bad because most people are idiots....We have people arguing that junk cars are art like carhenge Mark. The code is 600 pages because there are lawyers that help idiots find loopholes just like this...

Reactions: cda
Too bad because most people are idiots....We have people arguing that junk cars are art like carhenge Mark. The code is 600 pages because there are lawyers that help idiots find loopholes just like this...
No loophole. Code tell you what to do and where to find definitions not in the code.

If they can prove it meets the separation requirements, 20 min. self closing door on the dwelling side, it could work

Guess since garage is only defined in the dictionary ,,,

Guess the room could be labeled "playroom"