• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Meter room door, louvers?

chris kennedy

Sawhorse
I have a time-share on the beach with multiple dwelling units in need of a new meter room door. Door is on the exterior of the building. Anything that requires louvers on this door?

Thanks

= =

What else is in the room? [ I'm considering for combustion or ventilation air ]?

Chris, you know how it is.......Electrical rooms are notorious for storage of

everything......Maybe some chlorine or other chemicals for the pool...

= =

it must have been installed for cooling fom the electrical equipment or as ns suggested combustion air for non- existant equipment. Is there enough equipment in the room to require cooling or ventilation?

pwood said:
it must have been installed for cooling fom the electrical equipment or as ns suggested combustion air for non- existant equipment. Is there enough equipment in the room to require cooling or ventilation?
I have yet to see it, just got the question via phone this evening.

cda said:
time share, beach, louvers, hurricane, water in room???
Louvers or not the salt air destroys equipment at around half the designed life span where this is at.

Meter room door, louvers?

brudgers said:
Could be a flood control issue. Why do you care?
Very possible if it is to equalize pressure to maintain structural integrity such as flood vents for crawlspaces

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

brudgers said:
Why do you care?
If adults have best friends, the gentleman and his charming wife that manage these buildings would be our best friends. This gentleman manages 5 buildings directly on Hollywood Beach. The company I work for makes a pretty penny maintaining his prematurely deteriorating electrical equipment. Tells me the Hollywood building official is requiring a louvered door without quoting an article.

= =

Ask your friend to request a code section that requires the

louvers, and then, ...your friend can cite Article 110.11 -

Deteriorating agents to that code official.....See where it

goes after that!

FWIW, if the louvers are not required, IMO, there should

be adequate weatherstipping on the doors, as well as, a

sealing door sweep /threshhold to assist in keeping out the

salty, humid air.

$ $

Last edited by a moderator:
agree with ns about making the ahj sight a code reference if there is no need for comb. air. I would not require weather stripping etc if this is not part of the conditioned envelope. it sounds like it is not conditioned space due to the hole in the door requirement!

sent from my puter using jibberish.

I suspect he suspects ducks are about and doesn't want them to die for lack of adequate air.