• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Mezzanine Question

SCBO1

Platinum Member
I have a 2800sf tenant space with a mezzanine with two approved stairways. Owner wants to divide the space into two equal tenant spaces by building a wall between making two 1400sf areas. Does not want to take the wall past the mezzanine floor to the roof deck, which would only give each mezzanine one stairway. Owner states he wants to install doors with locks at the bottom of the stairway's. Each mezzanine space will be approx. 466sf with one stairway if the wall would continue to the roof deck.

Could the space (mezzanine) be considered storage area if locked off to the public at both stairs?

pc1

as i recall a mezzanien doe snot requier 2 set of stairs unless the occ is over 50 which probaly make it 2 big to meet the definiatin of mezzanine. if there are 2 door at the bottom of the stairs is there a landing at the bottom of the stairs befor the door? which tennat controls the mezzanine?

If the mezzanine is allowed to be divided both tenant spaces would have access to the mezzanine due to the two tenant spaces having a stairway.

Pcinspector1 said:
If the mezzanine is allowed to be divided both tenant spaces would have access to the mezzanine due to the two tenant spaces having a stairway.
I'm missing something here. The proposed demising wall separating the tenant space runs to the underside of the roof except at the mezzanine? Will the mezzanine be enclosed or will the mezzanine remain open to the story below? Does the proposed demising wall run to the ceiling under the mezzanine? How will a locked door be installed at the stairs? Are the stairs enclosed now? Will the two tenants share the mezzanine space? Neither of the proposed doors could be locked as they are exit access doors so tenant 1 could freely enter tenant 2's space if the mezzanine is not divided. Is that what the applicant is proposing?

imhotep,

Currently there is no demising wall below or above the mezzanine. The mezzanine will remain open to the story below. The owner only wishes to install a dividing wall below the mezzanine so the mezzanine floor would still remain open between tenant spaces. It is his suggestion to lock the two doors leading to the mezzanine and not take a demising wall to the underside of the roof deck. He then intends to rent the two tenant spaces below the mezz. The ceiling below the mezzanine is covered with gyp. The plans are unclear if the 4ft wide stairways are enclosed but are shown on the opposite ends of the mezz. I hope I have cover every thing, My question would be if this is common or allowed?

Pcinspector1 said:
I have a 2800sf tenant space with a mezzanine with two approved stairways. Owner wants to divide the space into two equal tenant spaces by building a wall between making two 1400sf areas. Does not want to take the wall past the mezzanine floor to the roof deck, which would only give each mezzanine one stairway. Owner states he wants to install doors with locks at the bottom of the stairway's. Each mezzanine space will be approx. 466sf with one stairway if the wall would continue to the roof deck. Could the space (mezzanine) be considered storage area if locked off to the public at both stairs?

pc1
The space can be considered a storage area if it is designated a storage area on the plans, and used as a storage area when occupied.

From what I can determine, there is no physical change to the mezzanine. It still has access to two separate exits, even though the exits are into two separate tenant spaces. Furthermore, only one exit would be required as long as travel distance and CPET are met.

The mezzanine need not be open to the space below provided the occupant load is 10 or less.

Are the proposed doors to be locked to prohibit access to the mezzanine only, or will they also be locked to prevent egress from the mezzanine?

Thanks, texasbo. You have it figured out so for.

The locked doors on the stairway's are intended to prevent each tenant from being able to access the others side, being that the mezz is open above the proposed lower divided tenant spaces. I gotta believe if the space above is there someone's going to use it some how, some way.