• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

mezzanine

rktect 1

Gold Member
I have an existing 2C building sprinklered now 2B. Used to be a grocery store. Later converted into a bowling ally and recreation center and restaurant. In one large room was a lazer tag room. Room is about 2000 sq. feet. The lazer tag area also was designed with a mezzanine area/platform of about 750-900 sq. ft. with two ramps on each end. 7'-8' height under mezzanine. The mezzanine/platform was constructed out of standard 2x4 studs and 2x8 joists with 3/4" frtw flooring material. The standard lumber walls and ceiling was sheathed in either 5/8" type x drywall or 1/2" frtw sheathing all sides. On the original lazer tag plans it was noted that the occupant load would not exceed 50 people. There are 2 exits out of the room 1/3 the diagonal of the room.

Now they moved the lazer tag into another room, about 6 months ago. Today they want to make the old lazer tag area a dance floor for kids. So they submitted drawings to remove the ramps and put in stairs to the mezzanine, made of untreated lumber, 2x4 guard on one side with 1/2" gyp board on each side. The stair carriage is noted as carriage but looks like 2x12 stringers with stop, no notes.

I feel like I am missing something but can't place my finger on it. Sometimes small project reviews get all complicated. Would it be wrong to tell them to contact a licensed DP at this point?

Re: mezzanine

can you have wood in this type const building??

is it designed for the weight load

combustibles in assembly???

I don't know where to begin or end. I think one note asking the submitter to have a DP involved vs. a point by point (hope I catch everything in the process) list is more paletable. Point by point seems like I would be designing it.

D.P. is subject to your local laws, CT requires it in ALL places of assembly. As CDA mentioned, I would be immediately concerned with combustibles in noncombustible construction,Section 603 has allowable combustible materials, but if it is structural like a mezzanine, I don't think so! Thank you for trying, we have some nice parting gifts for you out back! I would say a competent DP couldn't hurt! Remeber that FRTW is not necessarily "noncombustible"

It is the applicants duty to PROVE code compliace, just your job to CHECK it! What I will usually do is write my permit denial letters with notes like : How do you plan to address Section 603 of the building code? That usually gets rid of the faint of heart! :mrgreen:

Yeah. I think I will have to be more general than specific at this point. In the end though I would bet a DP is going to be involved either at my suggestion or his realization he is in over his head.

Unfortunatly a licensed arkitect actually designed the first mezzanine which should never have been approved. I think they just looked at it as part of the arena/obstacle course vs. mezzanine. Sort of like applying our code against playground equipment.

Now they want a different function. Dance floor. I am uncertain if I can even allow the mezzanine to remain intact.

don't forget the whole ADA thing...

The mezzanine may be a show stopper.

Table 601 shows floor construction including supporting beams and joists to be 0 fire resistance for type 2B. Isn't the mezzanine including the stairs just a floor?

Non-combustible has nothing to do with fire-resistance rating, or lack thereof. The issue is more about presence of combustible material than it is structural resistance to collapse/failure due to fire.

rktect 1 said:
I have an existing 2C building sprinklered now 2B. Used to be a grocery store. Later converted into a bowling ally and recreation center and restaurant. In one large room was a lazer tag room. Room is about 2000 sq. feet. The lazer tag area also was designed with a mezzanine area/platform of about 750-900 sq. ft. with two ramps on each end. 7'-8' height under mezzanine. The mezzanine/platform was constructed out of standard 2x4 studs and 2x8 joists with 3/4" frtw flooring material. The standard lumber walls and ceiling was sheathed in either 5/8" type x drywall or 1/2" frtw sheathing all sides. On the original lazer tag plans it was noted that the occupant load would not exceed 50 people. There are 2 exits out of the room 1/3 the diagonal of the room. Now they moved the lazer tag into another room, about 6 months ago. Today they want to make the old lazer tag area a dance floor for kids. So they submitted drawings to remove the ramps and put in stairs to the mezzanine, made of untreated lumber, 2x4 guard on one side with 1/2" gyp board on each side. The stair carriage is noted as carriage but looks like 2x12 stringers with stop, no notes.

I feel like I am missing something but can't place my finger on it. Sometimes small project reviews get all complicated. Would it be wrong to tell them to contact a licensed DP at this point?
Wood load bearing construction in a type IIB building?

brudgers said:
rktect 1 said:
I have an existing 2C building sprinklered now 2B. Used to be a grocery store. Later converted into a bowling ally and recreation center and restaurant. In one large room was a lazer tag room. Room is about 2000 sq. feet. The lazer tag area also was designed with a mezzanine area/platform of about 750-900 sq. ft. with two ramps on each end. 7'-8' height under mezzanine. The mezzanine/platform was constructed out of standard 2x4 studs and 2x8 joists with 3/4" frtw flooring material. The standard lumber walls and ceiling was sheathed in either 5/8" type x drywall or 1/2" frtw sheathing all sides. On the original lazer tag plans it was noted that the occupant load would not exceed 50 people. There are 2 exits out of the room 1/3 the diagonal of the room. Now they moved the lazer tag into another room, about 6 months ago. Today they want to make the old lazer tag area a dance floor for kids. So they submitted drawings to remove the ramps and put in stairs to the mezzanine, made of untreated lumber, 2x4 guard on one side with 1/2" gyp board on each side. The stair carriage is noted as carriage but looks like 2x12 stringers with stop, no notes.

Wood load bearing construction in a type IIB building?

Yeah. I think the village got snowed by the arkitect into believing this was some sort of arena/platform as I said above and was looked at similar to playground equipment. I don't really know though. I'm the new guy so..........new code applies today. I don't know if I can get the existing mezzanine removed thorugh the 2006 codes. I now have to look into existing structures.

Evaluate it has a V-A or B if III-B doesn't work. Why would you want to take out the mezzanine?

kilitact said:
Evaluate it has a V-A or B if III-B doesn't work. Why would you want to take out the mezzanine?
It's made of combustibel material, except for the drywall and 3/4" frtw deck material.

Is the building sprinklered and are sprinklers above and below?