• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Mezzanines

Mech

2009 IBC

Item 1

Is there a requirement for the opening height between the mezzanine and the room it is located in?

In the following sketch, there is a mezzanine in a building with differing roof heights. Assume a 2' high opening between the mezzanine floor and the main building ceiling. Does this meet the requirements of being open to the room it is in (assuming the area requirements are met)?

........................._______________

.........................|.......................| high roof

.........................|.......................|

low roof............. |.......................|

_______________|.......................|

|................................................|

|....................2' tall opening........|

|................................................|

|........................|___mezz floor__|

|........................|...................... |

| ____floor _____ | ____floor ___ _|

(Disclaimer - Not to Scale)

Item 2

Under certain conditions, mezzanines do not need to be open to the rooms they are located in. A mezzanine I am reviewing qualifies for the exception below.

505.4 Openness. A mezzanine shall be open and unobstructed to the room in which such mezzanine is located except for walls not more than 42 inches high, columns and posts.

Exceptions:

1. Mezzanines or portions thereof are not required to be open to the room in which the mezzanines are located, provided that the occupant load of the aggregate area of the enclosed space does not exceed 10.

Question

Can I claim a mezzanine is part of multiple rooms on different sides of the mezzanine? My mezzanine is 2,500 sf and I have a separated 2,000 sf area to the west, a separated 2,000 sf area to the east, a separated 1,500 sf area to the north side, no areas available to the south, and a 2,000 sf area beneath the mezzanine with 184 sf of horizontal openings between the mezzanine and main floor (stairs and another opening.)

The rooms totals 7,500 sf, including the area of rooms the mezzanine is open to as well as not open to. (Mezzanines can only be 1/3 the size of the room it is located in.)

Thanks for any input.

Sorry I hit the wrong button. I think you answered your own question, at least in part. "Mezzanines can only be 1/3rd the size of the ROOM (not rooms) it is located in.

As for minimum height of openings, there must be a code compliant exit system from the mezzanine. The minimum heights required for a code compliant means of egress would apply.