• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

MI Office-Medical staff toilet

kach22i

I think Michigan is different than the International Plumbing Code in some areas.

As I understand it, with the IPC if over 1,200 SF (Office Medical) you need a separate employee toilet room.

In Michigan (Office Medical), if you have 15 or less people working for you at any one time, you don't need this separate employee toilet room.

Can anyone familiar with both codes verify this for me?

The space in question is 2,400 SF, so yes it is over 1,200 and 1,500 SF. Men's and Women's toilets already being provided, I really doubt we need a 3rd one.

I'm more curious than anything else. The landlords future tenant is giving me a bunch of second hand, second guess information which I'd like to weed though, sort out and clarify.

IPC plumbing fixture numbers are based upon IBC occupant loads. Assuming you are classifying this as 'B' occupancy at 1 occupant per 100 sf, then your occupant load for 2,400 sf would be 24 occupants. 2902.2 in the 2006 IBC (Cross reference Section 403.2 in the 2006 IPC), exception 2, including employees and customers, separate facilities are not required for 15 occupants or less. Table 2902.1 for a B Occupancy would require one toilet fixture per 25 for the first 50 occupants of each sex (12 male/12 female=24*), and 1lavatory per 40 for the first 80 occupants. Therefore, 1 toilet/lavatory for the malerestroom and 1 toilet/lavatory for the female restroom.

*male/female occupants are assumed to be a 50% split unless noted otherwise and approved by the Building Official.

Hope this helps.

ask the building official; it used to be a requirement under the MI code, I believe.

As I understand it, with the IPC if over 1,200 SF (Office Medical) you need a separate employee toilet room.
Where are you seeing the above in the Code?

2006 IPC Section 403.2 Exception #2 applies for separate sex restrooms if the occupant load is more than 15 people. Mecantile and dwelling units are covered in the other Exceptions. If it is a medical office it is Business and a gross floor area of over 1500-sf would require separate sex restrooms.

Mark,

The footnote "b" which references "inmates and patients" is not listed in the Business occupancy cell of the MI Table you posted. The footnote is only shown in the Institutional ocupancy cells. Unless MI is listing Medical Offices as Institutional and not Business, I do not think footnot "b" applies. I do see there is a difference between the MI Table 403.1 and the IPC Table.

Examiner said:
Mark,The footnote "b" which references "inmates and patients" is not listed in the Business occupancy cell of the MI Table you posted. The footnote is only shown in the Institutional ocupancy cells. Unless MI is listing Medical Offices as Institutional and not Business, I do not think footnot "b" applies. I do see there is a difference between the MI Table 403.1 and the IPC Table.
Did you bother to read the post, I stated that

Sorry I did not understand the post that well. I saw patients and thought you were bearing down on that. The long weekend is about to arrive and I am wanting to leave work now.