• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Miele 208/240 plug into 2 separate 120V outlets

jar546

Forum Coordinator
First time I saw this. A 208v circuit was run for a new laundry area in a condo. Miele provided this adapter to change the 208v double pole circuit into 2 separate 120V outlets to plug their washer and dryer into. Both W&D are 120. This seems to circumvent the AFCI/GFCI protection required for 120v laundry room circuits. Thoughts?

Screenshot 2021-04-09 111945.png

Without any sort of overcurrent protection, I cannot see anyway it could be listed, or safe, a 15A receptacle on a 30A circuit is not kosher.

Come on Man, the cord is the overcurrent device!

Seriously, I thought of that later also, maybe a 14ga cord against a 30A fault?

The NEC requires GFCI (ground-fault circuit interrupter) protection for all receptacles serving laundry areas. This includes the 20-amp designated receptacle for the washer (and gas dryer, as applicable) and any general-use receptacles. GFCI protection is not required for a 30-amp electric dryer receptacle.

If they use this device, where is the GFCI for the washer? there is none, therefore not approved.

So is a 20A receptacle required by code, regardless if the manufacturer says 15 is ok? Point being, if meile advertises that device as providing two 15A receptacles, then that’s a fail.

So is a 20A receptacle required by code, regardless if the manufacturer says 15 is ok? Point being, if meile advertises that device as providing two 15A receptacles, then that’s a fail.

The cold hard reality is that they provide a couple of 30A receptacles, not my idea of "Code Plus", plus the lack of GFCI protection, just a lot of fails with this one.

The Bosch 500 series washer and dryer I am going to install in my master suite have a similar adapter. It is UL listed and fuse protected.
But... I'm going to put 2 x 20A GFCI/AFCI outlets in the laundry nook and not use the widget.

The Bosch 500 series washer and dryer I am going to install in my master suite have a similar adapter. It is UL listed and fuse protected.
But... I'm going to put 2 x 20A GFCI/AFCI outlets in the laundry nook and not use the widget.
Oh, but mine goes to 2 x NEMA 6-15, 3-prong, so that's a different config than the Miele.

The cold hard reality is that they provide a couple of 30A receptacles, not my idea of "Code Plus", plus the lack of GFCI protection, just a lot of fails with this one.
According to the manual for the T1 dryer that this is intended to be used with, the connection adapter is equipped with two 15A fuses. The lack of GFCI is concerning, and seems to try to skirt around the requirement by being an adapter on the 30A dryer port which does not need GFCI rather than two proper 15A receptacles that do.