• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Mike Holmes: Demand green features from your builder

TJacobs said:
Is Canadian mould different than American mold?
With approximately 100,000 species of mold, and about 150 different types of house mold, each with several subtypes, I am sure there are some differences, in different reigons of north america.

Remember the largest suppliers of lumber come from the friends to the north, and lumber is covered by spors....

No mold spores are everywhere blowing in the wind.

Just keep the lumber and other organic materials dry and they wont grow.

Mold growth is a function of excessive moisture.

You can always use FrameGuard® Mold Resistant Wood: Termite & Fungal Decay Protection

FrameGuard® coating is a blend of anti-mold and borate chemicals that has been shown to offer effective protection against termites and fungal decay.

prod_detail_FG.png

http://www.archchemicals.com/Fed/WOLW/Products/Mold/FrameGuard/decay.htm

:eek:ops

Sorry, I was not clear on the sarcasm...(spelling of mold in the article).

Holmes is nothing but a grating, self-serving blowhard. If you can afford the "green" upgrades any builder will put them in, but since the choice to use them is yours he may not care to be responsible if the product is less than advertised.

Yep...

incognito said:
Holmes is nothing but a grating, self-serving blowhard. If you can afford the "green" upgrades any builder will put them in, but since the choice to use them is yours he may not care to be responsible if the product is less than advertised.
I have heard him say in his assessment that "things don't meet code", yet see him leave the project at the end with a grand celebration only to also see a newly constructed staircase without a railing. Like others he has found a niche as a provocateur even if his expertise is strained. Must be nice.:agree

I was amazed to watch an episode that had him totally baffled by an older BALLON FRAME house. and equally appalled that they would spray foam everthing in site

INCLUDING the back side of an open frame (NO exterior sheathing) that had a brick veneer.

the damn builder left off the sheathing and was using the brick as everything from the studs outward.

no sheathing no WRB no air barrier; just studs gap and brick; they filled the space with poly foam?????????????????