• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Minimum distance between equipment in kitchen.

MArch

I have a situation. There is a large piece of kitchen equipment (roughly 8'-0" in length) that sits opposite of fixed casework that contains food prep equipment integral to the casework. (think buffet) This distance between the long piece of equipment and the casework is only 32" and this tight dimension is for about 4'-0" of travel distance.

This 4' of 32" wide space is not part of the egress. However persons will be working in this area. Is there somewhere I can find information that will justify this or let me know that it needs to be corrected?

Thanks in advance.

not an ada person, but that might be the only thing.

There are some ADA people on the site, just wait a few days for responses

How did you find us??

cda said:
not an ada person, but that might be the only thing.
Not an ADA issue, not an exiting issue. It is usability issue. Can the space be used safely?

As an Architect I would say the width of a work aisle should be at least 42 inches. But as a code official I would say there is no code minimum that I know of.

Last edited by a moderator:
I asked the chief official at the dept. of insurance. He directed me toward section 1208.1, Section 1104.3.1 and A117.1 403.5.

steveray said:
I like the 1208.1.....Never had one that tight before....
1208.1 Minimum room widths.

Habitable spaces, other than a kitchen, shall be not less than 7 feet (2134 mm) in any plan dimension. Kitchens shall have a clear passageway of not less than 3 feet (914 mm) between counter fronts and appliances or counter fronts and walls.

Never used that one in other than dwellings, but could be applicable.

Commercial kitchen are not covered under ANSI or chapter 11, work spaces are exempt

IBC 2009 Definition.....HABITABLE SPACE. A space in a building for living, sleeping, eating or COOKING. Bathrooms, toilet rooms, closets, halls, storage or utility spaces and similar areas are not considered habitable spaces

By definition...it is so required...

That's the crux of the issue here in the office. Is it habitable space???? Is this only applicable for dwelling areas??? We are having the same issues of opinion here.

'Habitable space' is a term generally applied to areas where people live, 'occupiable space' includes work spaces and would be more appropriate in a commercial kitchen IMHO.

JBI said:
'Habitable space' is a term generally applied to areas where people live, 'occupiable space' includes work spaces and would be more appropriate in a commercial kitchen IMHO.
OCCUPIABLE SPACE. A room or enclosed space designed for human occupancy in which individuals congregate for amusement, educational or similar purposes or in which occupants are engaged at labor, and which is equipped with means of egress and light and ventilation facilities meeting the requirements of this code.

I assume the cooks are "at labor"

36" minimum:

A commercial kitchen is an occupied space (IBC 2012: 202 Definition of Occupiable Space)

Each occupied space in a building or structure is required to provide means of egress (IBC 2012: 1001.1, 1003.1)

From work spaces in a commercial kitchen you need to access the means of egress via an aisle accessway then to an aisle (IBC 2012: 202 Definition of Aisle and Aisle Accessway)

An aisle access way and aisle are component of the exit access (IBC 2012: 202 Definition of Exit Access)

An exit access is a means of egress component that leads to the exit and terminates to the exit discharge (IBC 2012: 202 Definition of Means of Egress)

So an aisle accessway shall be a minimum of 36” in width (IBC 2012: 1017.5)

36" minimum:

A commercial kitchen is an occupied space (IBC 2012: 202 Definition of Occupiable Space)

Each occupied space in a building or structure is required to provide means of egress (IBC 2012: 1001.1, 1003.1)

From work spaces in a commercial kitchen you need to access the means of egress via an aisle accessway then to an aisle (IBC 2012: 202 Definition of Aisle and Aisle Accessway)

An aisle access way and aisle are component of the exit access (IBC 2012: 202 Definition of Exit Access)

An exit access is a means of egress component that leads to the exit and terminates to the exit discharge (IBC 2012: 202 Definition of Means of Egress)

So an aisle accessway shall be a minimum of 36” in width (IBC 2012: 1017.5)

Help me out.... I do not see commercial kitchen, see link above