• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Minimum Door Width - Bedroom

mstehlin

Bronze Member
2009 IRC

I see no minimum door sizes for bedrooms... or other rooms for that matter.

The only door with prescribed dimensions is the one required egress door to the outside (IRC 311.2)

Is there anything to stop someone from installing a 24" door to a bedroom? What about a 5' tall door?

= = + = =

"2009 IRC.....I see no minimum door sizes for bedrooms... or other rooms for that matter........The only door with prescribeddimensions is the one required egress door to the outside (IRC 311.2).

Is there anything to stop someone from installing a 24" door to a bedroom? What about a 5' tall door?"
While there is no "requirement" for minimum sized doors [ in the IRC ]; other than the "required" MOE,...selling something with 24" wide, or 5 ft. tall doors [ might ] work only for smaller sized persons, "IF"

the BO \ AHJ approves the install.......Typically, ...the AHJ won't acccept "atypical" dimensioned

elements.

The typical SFD targets a broad buyers market !

= = + = =

Like FB said...no requirement...I think they remedied the loophole that didn't require stairs (vertical egress) though....

mstehlin said:
2009 IRCI see no minimum door sizes for bedrooms... or other rooms for that matter.

The only door with prescribed dimensions is the one required egress door to the outside (IRC 311.2)

Is there anything to stop someone from installing a 24" door to a bedroom? What about a 5' tall door?

"I think they remedied the loophole that didn't require stairs (vertical egress) though...."

Yes, R311.4 requires it.

We just went 2009IRC This month (from 2003)....But of course we still have to go back to 150 pages of amendments from 2005 and up and collate those into our 2009....We still don't require basement EERO until there is a bedroom... :(

fatboy said:
"I think they remedied the loophole that didn't require stairs (vertical egress) though...."Yes, R311.4 requires it.