• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Minimum fence height for one roof line above a neighboring roof

Jennifer Wojtowicz

Hi Folks- I don't know where to begin to get this answer so I will start here! My Brooklyn, NY condo building has recently had a new condo building build adjacent to it. Their roof is about 6 feet or so higher than our roof, and the developer has proposed a 44" glass "fence" to keep people from falling or otherwise throwing anything on to our roof. This seems very inadequate to our building as there is nothing that prevents a resident of the new building from leaning over, throwing something or otherwise having things drop on to our roof. Are there any minimum requirements of height barriers between two abutting residential buildings? Would appreciate any insights! Thanks! Jennifer

How close is the new building to yours? Distance apart.

giphy.gif

Snow drifting loads on the existing building is what I am thinking of and the increased snow loads that may be greater than the existing building was designed to handle. A roof failure is a whole lot worse than debris being tossed onto your roof.

6 ft plus the 44" glass fence is almost 10 ft the snow can drift up against.

OSHA decided that 42" is adequate to keep people from falling off, and the codes adopted that.

Mischief makers will find a way to throw things over a barrier, no matter how high it is, if they really want to.

Separation distance is key here, if both are condos then I take it separation between them is required for light and air unless they allow "0" lot lines with no openings between them.
Need more info.