• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Minimum Machine Room Size for Elevator Equipment?

So far, my specifications related to the elevator machine room requires individual/separate HVAC, and a fire-rated 3' x 7' door access from the interior of the building rather than an exterior door. While waiting for my copy of ASME A17.1 to arrive in two weeks, can anyone tell me if there is a minimize size (square feet) for the machine room? Is there minimum head-room height? I want to be able to distinguish the difference between what the elevator repairman DESIRES versus the minimum code requirements.

Thank you,

Applicable Codes:

ASME A17.1

2000 NFPA Life Safety

2009 IBC

ICC Certified Plan Reviewer

NFPA Certified Fire Plan Examiner

etc., etc., etc.

BayPointArchitect:

18" clearance on all equipment requiring maintenance. Headroom 84" min. Door 3-0 x 7-0. Check working clearances around electrical equipment (NEC Article 110)

Regards,

DB

NB: This is from ASME A17.1 2007. Don't know if that's the latest.

You also have to take into account NEC required clearances for equipment that may be serviced while energized. Allow at least 36" (42" for 480V) on the service side. Also allow adequate space to remove and replace the machine.