• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Minimum plan note/design for temporary exterior stairs

cyberwombat

I have a cabin on piers and am putting a couple exterior staircase in the plans - I need them to be bare minimum as I intend to apply for a deck near the end of the build (not yet sure what I want hence the stairs). Am not totally clear what the code (IRC 2018) says about exterior stair landing/footing. A concrete pad? 4x4 in concrete? Am looking for something simple to write in plan - can even be a note that says the general gist if that works for the plan examiner.

What do you suggest? Here's staircase (one is 4.5" wide the other 8"). They don't have to have a side wall as indicated - whatever is simplest to write up.
Screenshot 2023-10-14 at 11.45.04 AM.png

In as much as you do not plan to build stairs my question is, are you able to explain to the building department that the deck, under a permit, will be added prior to a CofO?

It's an option though am already doing that w my solar where they did require me to file the permit even with a shoddy diagram so I think I may have to do the same w the deck - a shoddy one which might take more time than to figure out if I just need a concrete pad.

I went with IRC R507.3.1 deck footings and added 6 18x6 footings w 4x4 going down. I think that should pass.