• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Minimum Skylight Fenestration Area - Part Deux

glzath

IECC 2015
Came in here to look for additional information regarding the definition of "Daylight Zone under skylight area" seeing how the 2012 definition was eliminated in 2015. I found my answer in the March post by George M.

Yes it answered my question, but lead to another one and possible issue.

We are doing a Zone 4, F1 facility of approx 50,000 SF which will have several large open areas with average roof heights of around 32' (no ceilings). We are planning on using 4'x4' skylights spaced at approx 26' OC for most of the roof area. Using the IECC 2012 we were able to achieve the Minimum Skylight Fenestration Area calculations mostly in part due to the "one-half the distance to adjacent skylights" that was part of the "Daylight Zone; Under skylights" definition. It took into account the daylight overlap. Well, that's gone now.

To be honest, I do not see any possible way of adjusting the skylight size and/or spacing to make the MSFA calculation work with the floor to roof heights we have. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Never mind. Got it to work out. I was calcing it as a single skylight. When I figured the whole area with all the skylights, the number came in above what was required. Phew.

Last edited: