• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Minimum toilet clearance

Yankee

Interesting argument, and I want to see what the commentary or conversation might have been on this issue. the 15" clearance to center of toilet, is that a minimum standard set primarily concerning framed walls of a toilet enclosure, and not so much necessary for the clearance to a vanity/cabinet?

Thanks for your thoughts.

I too think that it is a universal clearance thingy, however, I also think that it should be updated.

In the United States today, Americans are larger/ fatter! I'm not sure that 30 inches is enough

room for clearance. Also, if you're a larger sized plumber trying to make repairs in a small toilet

compartment / space, it's tough maneuvering & contorting of the body.

I vote to have a larger area for The Throne! :D

30" total side to side, and 24" in front last time I checked (which was a while back).

Globe,

I don't think the code should be changed because people eat too much. If it's a problem, they can pay for a remodel to accomodate thier fatness.

GPE

GPE(S),

I was lobbing a jab at some of the larger plumbers. :D No disrespect mind you...

GPE(S),

Also, the Throne space / room is one of the last bastions of peace & sanity

for most menfolk. I still say, increase the area where The Throne is located.

Add some space for us men to be comfortable when initiating the launch

codes, making worldly decisions and looking at the latest Cabelas catalog. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with globe trekker.

A bathroom has become a place to relax. Large tubs and lots of room elsewhere has become the norm.

My house has a real nice spacious bath. When we had kids, they refused to use the smaller bathroom by their bedrooms. I think people will tend to use the most comfortable bath in the house.

---

I would not worry about clearance violations if there were more than one bathroom. People will find a suitable room.

I would not change the code based soely on perceptions of comfort. Let minimums be minimums, and let the market decide what comfort level will sell homes.

In California we did not adopt that portion of the IRC, so our version of the CBC/UPC remains in effect:

"407.5 Setting. Fixtures shall be set level and in proper alignment with reference to adjacent walls. No water closet or bidet shall be set closer than fifteen (15) inches (381 mm) from its center to any side wall or obstruction nor closer than thirty (30) inches (762 mm) center to center to any similar fixture. The clear space in front of any water closet or bidet shall be not less than twenty-four (24) inches (610 mm). No urinal shall be set closer than twelve (12) inches (305 mm) from its center to any side wall or partition nor closer than twenty-four (24) inches (610 mm) center to center.

I Exception: The installation of paper dispensers or accessibility grab bars shall not be considered obstructions."

masplumber,

Welcome to The Building Codes Forum! ;)

Yes, I would have the property owner make the necessary changes to

have the proper clearance around the water closet.

ar13002226612259.jpg

that could have been my old house before we remodeled it... except it was the bathtub that made one sit sideways on the throne. (Tear out the closet from the adjacent bedroom.. shove the tub to the other end and add a small tasteful vanity in front..)... then build a closet that encroaches into the bedroom.. but sit proudly and straightly. Of course we had permits for everything.

mark,

You can soak your feet in the tub, brush your teeth and do your business at the same time, wow what a time saver! I'd hang the t-paper on the front of the vanity incase I dribble tooth paste on my chin!

pc1

Pcinspector1,

You're too funny! :D Talk about multi-tasking to a whole other level !

Be careful with holding the toothbrush in one hand and the toilet paper

in the other.......You could have a momentary "misdirection of tasking" ! :lol:

Ya know, ...wiping your mouth with toilet paper and, ...well, you get

the picture.