• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Minimum width between work spaces

CatHeard

I apologize if this is a really rudimentary question, but I've been looking for a code section for 2 days and it's driving me up the wall.

I KNOW there's either a code or accessibility section somewhere that talks about the minimum width between 1 side vs 2 sided access to...something. Service counter? storage? anything?

Example: Minimum distance between two storage shelves back to back, vs a storage shelf and a wall.

Anyone know the code section I'm looking for?

I don't personally know of any section that specifically addressed that condition. As long as you meet the requirements of Ch3 and Ch4 of the Washington Accessibility Code, as applicable (by Ch9?), I think you're fine.

Woops... Thought this was in the accessibility forum. My eyes lied to me haha... My bad. Ignore my previous comment.

Woops... Thought this was in the accessibility forum. My eyes lied to me haha... My bad. Ignore my previous comment.
It is both a code and an accessibility issue.

36 inches is the minimum accessible route width, with an exception that can reduce it to 32 inches for lengths not greater than 24 inches (Chapter 4 ADA and ANSI).

In employee work areas, only common circulation paths must comply with the accessible route requirements.

Thanks all for your replies, I think I found the diagram I was originally looking for:
1712613898480.png
Granted, this isn't exactly what I had asked originally. I also found a snippet in the California Fire Code pertaining to minimum aisle width in storage (closer), which is 44" (sprinklered, non high-pile).

I think I have my answers now. Thanks all!

My first impression was you might be looking for electrical code references, live parts exposed from one side or both. That appears not to be the case. If it was you'd start with 110.26 Spaces About Electrical Equipment.

I apologize if this is a really rudimentary question, but I've been looking for a code section for 2 days and it's driving me up the wall.

I KNOW there's either a code or accessibility section somewhere that talks about the minimum width between 1 side vs 2 sided access to...something. Service counter? storage? anything?

Example: Minimum distance between two storage shelves back to back, vs a storage shelf and a wall.

Anyone know the code section I'm looking for?

You may be thinking of the A117.1 requirements for kitchens. IIRC, the clear width requirement is different for through kitchens than it is for dead-end (U-shaped) kitchens.