• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Mislabeled Exterior Light Fixture

Robert Ellenberg

You can tell from all the questions I have been posing that I am focused on clarifying electric details recently.

Several months ago I had chosen a moderately priced exterior wall mount light fixture. It is marked (exterior of the box) as such and referred to as a deck light, with a photo showing it mounted on the side of a 6x6 deck post (l110V-not low voltage fixture.) I don't want to cut a hole (or recess) in the siding to help prevent air and water infiltration so I was thinking I could perhaps use a surface mount pancake box and let the fixture fit over it. So I went to the supplier to unpackage one to see if the inside had enough room for the pancake and if it was marked with volume where it could count for fill calculations.

Low and behold, there is a tiny sitcker inside that says CEILING MOUNT ONLY. So I approached an employee and showed him and explained that either they were selling it for a location use where it could not be used OR someone (probably in China) was putting the stickers on everything and mis marked it.

They called me today and said they had been in touch with the vendor who had been in touch with??? and the fixtures were designed and approved for the way they were shown on the box and in fact they were mislabeled.

I am not comfortable removing the sticker or even having the supplier do so (plus I don't take anyones "word" for such a question). What should I ask for to document the correct approval of the fixture that would be acceptable to a AHJ? And please don't say just go buy a different fixture because now that I know this it would be irresponsible to walk away and leave it with others unsuspectingly buying it.

Is this fixture listed?

If it is listed I would make a call to the listing agency and tell them of the mis-marking. This is a big issue with listed and labeled equipment.

Chris

Moral of the story is stop buying light fixtures at the chinese buffet.lol. I kid, I kid.