• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

mixed use modification

BSSTG

Gold Member
Greetings all,

I've got a mixed use bldg in the historic district. Group M on bottom floor. Bldg owners residence on 2nd. Building is not sprinkled. Perspective buyer looking at buying the bldg. and wants to turn the upstairs single living quarter into 2 living quarters. She asked if they had to be sprinkled and I said yes. Now I'm 2nd guessing myself. Is it really a change of usage going from 1 living unit to 2? There will be no addition of floor space of any kind, only a remodel. What say you folks?

BSSTG

Sprinkle it

We're you anticipating sprinkling the entire building??

You do not want to set a president

Hmmm, I do believe a second tenant space can be created without the addition of sprinklers.

Check out IBC (2009) Section 3412 for Compliance Alternatives.

3412.1 Compliance - The provisions of this section are intended to maintain or increase the current degree of public safety, health and general welfare in existing buildings while permitting repair, alteration, addition and change of occupancy without requiring full compliance with Chapters 2 through 33, or Sections 3401.3, and 3403 through 3409, except where compliance with other provisions of this code is specifically required in this section.

Adding a separate unit increases the fire risk, public safety, health and general welfare . Two kitchens, two water heaters, two heaters....two separate groups for egress

There is a table to fill out in Section 3412.7 that takes into account Fire Safety, Means of Egress and General Safety. Increasing safety (smaller compartments, fire rated walls and/or floors, smoke detection, etc) in one area has the potential to offset increased risks resulting from the addition of a second living quarters. Compare the scores in the chart to the mandatory scores listed. Depending how the building scores turn out, sprinklers may not be required.

If your jurisdiction has added to or removed from the IBC, then there are some other rules to play by and Section 3412 may not work.

I sent (a similar)one of these to our state office....they disagreed with me....they said no sprinklers.....they may be able to make it work under some of the existing buiding stuff....I would have to do a little more reading...I don't know if I would consider 1 dwelling split in 2 as a change of use...mine was a business office conversion in a building that had other apartments....

mark handler said:
Adding a separate unit increases the fire risk, public safety, health and general welfare . Two kitchens, two water heaters, two heaters....two separate groups for egress
And if they want to add a second kitchen or heater to a single unit...would they have to sprinkler it?

We successfully sent plans for a former restaurant to be converted into several apartments. I think the second floor already had apartments. We added fire rated walls and floor/ceiling assemblies between units, fire rated shaft protection, and smoke detectors (one detector would trigger all detectors in the building).

We allow up to two dwelling or sleeping units provided 75' max. travel distance; EERO; one-hour fire barrier separation in non-sprinklered buildings above B/M occupancies because they have existed since the 1920's in the historical business district.

Francis