• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

mixed use or what?

bgingras

I have a project that involves the complete renovation of the first floor (13,100sf) of a 2 story building that is to be used for the supervision and training of mentally challenged individuals and "clients". Part of it (2100 sf) is shown as manufacturing space. This area includes a room where individual assemble basic items for sale. There is also a "gift shop" (640sf) a cafeteria (624sf) a kitchen (448sf) and misc "studios" , "production rooms" and "classrooms". The second floor is all offices for the organization. Seems to be a bit more than just a B use. I'm awaiting a letter from the organization indicating the actual intended use of the facility and the occupant loads.

Ideas?

I would worry about the word 'supervision',

308.5 Group I-4, day care facilities. This group shall include

buildings and structures occupied by persons of any age who

receive custodial care for less than 24 hours by individuals

other than parents or guardians, relatives by blood, marriage or

adoption, and in a place other than the home of the person cared

for.

So, when I was supervised in all my previous jobs I was actually working in a Group I-4 building? :p

Just kidding...

I agree, though, that "supervise" will need to be more clearly defined as to the intention.

I would consider the manufacturing area as a Group F (probably a F-1). The gift shop would be Group M, the cafeteria as Group B (less than 750sf), kitchen as Group B, studio and production rooms as Group B (unless the intent would place them in Group A--I'm not sure based on the names provided), and the classrooms could be either Group A or B--depending on the occupant load and/or size of space and if the individuals are adults (past grade 12).

Use groups B, M, F1, S1 all fall under the same category as far as separation is considered (no separation required 2009 IBC T508.4) RLGA did you mean the classrooms could be either E or B?

If the construction type is anything other than 5B you'll have no real issues with a mixed non-separated occupancy unless you find that they have either an E or I use in the mix.

You need to be very careful here and tread lightly. Persons in vocational rehab are not automatically classified as custodial care. The key is if the clients are capable of self preservation actions in the event of a fire.

Coug Dad said:
You need to be very careful here and tread lightly. Persons in vocational rehab are not automatically classified as custodial care. The key is if the clients are capable of self preservation actions in the event of a fire.
:agree Yep be careful.

gbhammer said:
RLGA did you mean the classrooms could be either E or B?
No, I did mean A or B. I'm assuming that the individuals are adults and that the training is vocational and not elementary or secondary education, for which the Group E occupancy is intended. If the occupant load is 50 or greater and the area is more than 750sf, then it would be considered a Group A-3.

I don't think we have a custodial care situation in this case, it's more the the manufacturing, cafe, retail stuff that seems odd...site visit tomorrow, we'll see.

RLGA said:
No, I did mean A or B. I'm assuming that the individuals are adults and that the training is vocational and not elementary or secondary education, for which the Group E occupancy is intended. If the occupant load is 50 or greater and the area is more than 750sf, then it would be considered a Group A-3.
Huh. So your saying that vocational colleges are group A3.

2009 IBC 304.1 Group B: Training and skill development not within a school or academic program

I thought you were talking about students still within the 1st-12th grade child or not is an E if the builng is used at any one time for educational purposes.

Sometimes, asking for a furniture layout will assist in the proper determination of classification. This is a case where the intended use should mirror the furniture layout.

IF the "class rooms" do not have a traditional layout of a classroom with furishings supporting a classroom, flags should be thrown......

Sometimes a red flag, sometimes a yellow flag, and on a few occasions - the trusty brown flag.

This sounds like a typical sheltered workshop. I think the gift shop, cafeteria, and other uses would be accessory uses. The manufacturing space isn't likely to involve any heavy machinery or hazardous materials - more like crafts or simple hand assembly of small items.

Well when I walked in the manager immediately presented documentation showing a B and F2. The cafe is now a break room. All "clients" / "Trainees" are actually paid and considered employees. They had machinery in the original facility, this setup MAY not include it. I have requested a full review under the IEBC as well as a life safety and egress plan for the area that will remain occupied during construction. The classroom area is now accessory to the manufacturing space. Seems to have been worked out, at least for now.