• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Modified Breaker Box Rental Inspection

From the photos, it appears that sections of the panel cover have been field modified. The U.L. listing is therefore void, and the box is not legal to remain in service.

I would need more information before asking that to be replaced. I would remove the cover and sheet metal. Depending on what I found, I would then be able to assess the situation.

Last edited:
The enclosure is listed by U.L. If it is modified in any way, the listing is void.
Just punching a hole in an enclosure to accommodate a fitting or conduit violates the listing of the enclosure. If you ask the manufacturer about that they will say oh yes, that's a violation ... but they will also say that as long as the 3R condition has been maintained they would not make an issue of it. This cabinet is inside so 3R does not apply. What does apply is containing molten metal from arcing or possible fire as well as bonding the sheet metal. No manufacturer would say okay to this panel ... only an inspector can do that.

Not that Rebecca should get in the habit of walking out on limbs.

Last edited:
Is that a metal cover? It almost looks a fiber material like floor tile. I would have an issue with this because it has been modified so much, and I would certainly expect the owner to remove the covers to see what is going on behind these panels. A replacement cover should be available somewhere, but why was it chopped up would be my first concern. Panel replacement could be in order, but check all options, safety first.

Reactions: ICE
Is that a metal cover? It almost looks a fiber material like floor tile. I would have an issue with this because it has been modified so much, and I would certainly expect the owner to remove the covers to see what is going on behind these panels. A replacement cover should be available somewhere, but why was it chopped up would be my first concern. Panel replacement could be in order, but check all options, safety first.
Here ya go Rebecca.... this is good advice.

Just so you know... I'm not the most reliable source. In fact If I knew how to create a banner, that's what it would say.

It's heavy flake galvanized....