• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Molded drywall in new construction

kyhowey

Silver Member
I have a permit for a house that's been open since before I took this job. Over the course of the last year, I've watched the inside of the basement walkout wall become mold infested up to the bottom of the window. The builder didn't slope his yard away from the house, and he didn't have 6" of clearance between bottom of wall and top of grade. He has now fixed both of those issues.

He also has been treating the inside of the drywall with bleach. I told him that's not enough. I want the bottom section of the drywall replaced, insulation changed out and the studs inspected for mold/damage. I can still smell the mold when I walk into the basement and see mold remnants. He finally has a contract on the house (I don't know how with the mold) and will be wanting a C.O. pretty soon. We're not going to give him one until mold issue is gone. Any code reference to cite? Workmanship? R701.2?

You could try R104.9. Approved materials and equipment.

Its a good bet that the drywall and insulation were not listed by their manufactures as material approved to be used in a wet location.

= = >

Also, see Section R104.11.1 Tests [ `06 IRC ]: Whenever there is insufficient

evidence of compliance with the provisions of this code, or evidence that a

material or method does not conform to the requirements of this code, or in order

to substantiate claims for alternative materials or methods, the building official

shall have the authority to require tests as evidence of compliance to be made at

no expense to the jurisdiction...........Test methods shall be as specified in this code

or by other recognized test standards...........In the absence of recognized and

accepted test methods, the building official shall approve the testing procedures.

Tests shall be performed by an approved agency........Reports of such tests shall

be retained by the building official for the period required for retention of public

records.

IMO, the mold issue needs to be corrected / removed completely &

documented before a C. of O., or a temp. C. of O. is issued.

< = =

No code section for mold but the house must be completely dried in before insulation and drywall. If moisture is getting in they must figure out where/how.

1. Eliminate the infiltration of moisture.

2. Remove all wet insulation and drywall.

3. Treat with bleach etc and dry out completely.

4. Install new insulation and drywall.

That is my 2c.

My CBO says he won't sign a C of O that is in violation of the property maintenance code. Not that I would present it to him.