• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Moment frames

zigmark

Silver Member
I am looking for some feedback regarding steel moment frames. In 15 years I have not had a residential plan come in with anything other than a "preapproved"(Simpson) moment frame. I now have someone proposing to have a local shop fab up a moment frame. I am hoping some of you can help me with standards for the design and construction of this system. I am aware that the steel is required to be ASTM A992 grade 50 for shapes and plates. I am aware of the structural welding requirements of AWS D1.1. What else should I be looking for? All help appreciated.

ZIG

Special inspection requirements, certified welders. I've done dozens of them, and there is nothing really special other than residential guys may be unfamiliar with the process or the unfamiliar trades.

Generally, depending on size, the components with backing plates and whatnot are made in the shop, then assembled on site.

The welder generally schedules his own inspections, as he knows his layout and time frame. Provisions need to be made for fastening of lumber the frame, and my preferred method are welded-on studs. Some guys pin the lumber with powder actuated tools.

That's the perspective of the builder if it helps.

Brent.

Engineering!! well that just blows the project budget....

Ok, so I found this: www.nehrp.gov/pdf/nistgcr9-917-3.pdf. It is a little dated but it's a start. I've found a few others as well.

I see they have prequalified connections with limits of applicability, I didn't see any for welded connections however.

Thanks,

ZIG

Ok here is what I am down to regarding the moment frames.

Seismic Zone "D" and 3-story light framed construction.

What are the limitations of using an Ordinary Moment Frame in this condition? Specifically, how are the connections determined and configured?

Proposal is face welded beams to upright columns with full pen welds. How practical is this?

Thanks again,

ZIG

The building code has provisions for steel moment frames. They need to be engineered. The plan checker needs to be an engineer.

I believe you will find that the Simpson frames were designed to comply with the code provisions. Licensing laws do not eliminate the need for an professional engineers seal and signature just because there is an evaluation report. Thus the moment frames either custom designed or provided by Simpson should be Stamped and signed by a professional engineer.

The NEHRP report listed is not code. An engineer should know the particular code requirements.

Zig,

regardless of the moment frame, a three story building in a D seismic zone would require engineering anyway. I would suggest your budget if blown was not realistic.

To give you an idea why an engineer is required, there are many standards can apply to a moment frame in SDC D, and interpreting them typically requires an engineering background :

IBC

ASCE 7 Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and other Structures

AISC 360 Specifications for Steel Buildings

AISC 341 Seismic Provisions for Structural Steel Buildings

AISC 358 Prequalified Connections for Special and Intermediate Steel Moment Frames for Seismic Applications

AWS D1,.1 Structural Welding Code - Steel

AWS D1.8 Structural Welding Code Seismic Supplement (may be required for 2012 IBC)

RCSC Specification for Structural Joints Using High Strength Bolts (for 2009 IBC and earlier this was 'Using ASTM A325 or A490 Bolts')

ACI 318 Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete (needed for anchor bolt design)

An ordinary moment frame may be permissible if the structure's height is not over 35', the floor and roof dead load are less than or equal to 35 psf, and the walls weight does not exceed 20 psf

The AISC specification can be downloaded at https://www.aisc.org/content.aspx?id=2884

Today steel moment frames is a better residential option as they are pre-engineered, pre-fabricated and cost-effective, also its installation is fast which is performed by standard framing crew and not welders.