• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Monolithic slab pours and vapor barriers

jar546

Forum Coordinator
This subject came up in the residential electrical section on a CEE thread so I thought I would start this thread to eliminate drift.Do you see a problem with this installation? It will be a SFR.

View attachment 1802

View attachment 1803

View attachment 1802

View attachment 1803

/monthly_2013_06/p1592254508-4.jpg.b990066e80e654aa3c8f88959f8787e8.jpg

/monthly_2013_06/p1592254920-5.jpg.ee285a2743cbf92298c3edfe4d9deabb.jpg

= = + = =

In the first 2 photos, as **gfretwell** mentioned in the Res. Electrical

Category, ...either remove the visqueen from underneath the steel

reinforcement for the CEE [ RE: 3508.1.2, `06 IRC ], or install 2

ground rods without the CEE installed......If using the CEE ...ensure

that the electrical attaching clamp is actually listed for the

application......Oh, and remove that piece of wood from the

foundation footer.

In the 2nd set of photos, ...is there some type of support for that

horizontal 4" pvc pipe, so that the weight of the concrete doesn't

cause a "negative slope" when placed upon it ?

= = + = =

I would be asking them to wrap that 4" pipe with foam or or equivalent for protection. I would not pour a slab without at least #3 rebar at 2" o.c. looks pretty weeny without steel for differential settlement.

I don't think I have an issue with it structurally or otherwise....is there anything that says how much of the footing has to be in contact with the earth? (for CEE)

1. The damproofing/waterproofing material is not to go into the footing 2009 IRC (R406.2) "from the TOP of the footing to finished grade; and enclose interior spaces and floors below grade" (material not allowed in footing) 2. Where 4 AWG copper is used for CEE, it must be encased in at least 2" of concrete the full 20 feet of horizontal run. The connection to the rebar that will be encased in concrete is not required to be assessable (E36ll.2). I've always liked the idea of using rebar beneath the concrete; bending it up and attaching the copper in the wall. Note: to "get my way" I tell them that the rebar is necessary because that's where I place my approval tag :) ". Ok, gotta get ready for work; ya'll be good to yourselves. Uncle Bob