• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

More ICC certs

I'm holding out for the Residential Drywall Inspector certification.

After that, I think I'll go for the Residential Accessory Building Setback Inspector certification.

Looking forward to the I'm retiring exam. One more set of renewals and I'm intend to take it. Hope I don't flunk it like UB and have to get a job.

88twin.,

Been there done that

I was told a long time ago that there was a minimum amount of brain damage required to even want this job...

And I exceeded the minimum. :D

Fred K,

"Looking forward to the I'm retiring exam. One more set of renewals and I'm intend to take it. Hope I don't flunk it like UB and have to get a job."

LOL, :)

Hey, I spent my 3 months of my Social Security on seminars and study guides; before I took that exam. I kept missing the questions about ****** warnings, dietary fiber, and nap time scheduling.

Uncle Bob

certifications don't mean anything if you can't apply in the field... we put too much emphasis on them... but we do what we need to do.

The thing I like about certifications via exam is that it makes you read and study the codes and standards (if your really serious about obtaining the certificates). Life requires us to prioritize things of importance which usually means things like reading a code book comes after just about everything else. Studying the code has its professional rewards and getting a certificate reinforces that desire to study.

Bryan,

Amen, I've usually tried to find a five day seminar/course on the specific code that i intended to take the exam for. I also found it useful to spend some time at a building site with the code book in hand (on my own time). I get a lot from visual observation while studing the codes. The only down side is that I find a lot of stuff I've been missing.

Nothing ruins a builder's day like seeing me sitting on stack of gypsum with a code book in my hand. :cool:

Uncle Bob

When I got my CBO from CABO back in '92 it was considered prestigious ! Now there are so many certs that the value of any of them has been diluted. I'm still proud of my CBO but I refuse to take any more exams just on general principals. With age comes orneryness.

Joe

When I got my CBO from CABO back in '92 it was considered prestigious ! Now there are so many certs that the value of any of them has been diluted.
Could not agree more. 4 of my certs did not even require additional testing just fill out the paperwork and send in the money

How long after one passes an exam does it finally appear on the ICC website? Passed one almost 3 weeks ago and it's not there yet.

picked up another one yesterday!

(patting myself on the back).. thank you.. thank you.. :)

Fire 2.. Way to go peach... commercial energy here...now all i need is CBO and MCP here i come..

Good for you Steve... energy is actually my next effort... just not a requirement for my job..