• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

More on Superior wall ignition barrier

Sifu

SAWHORSE
Has anyone heard of an exception or allowance that permitted Superior walls to go without an ignition barrier? Unfinished basement with tuck-under garage. Garage will be separated by other code provisions but as I thought more about it I realized the remainder of the basement is going to be unfinished and would have exposed foam insulation. In my dim memory it seems I recall some sort of exception but I havn't dealt with Superior for a number of years and can't remember. I'll contact Superior today but like information from those without a vested interest in the outcome as well.

The IRC in 302 clearly requires 1/2 gyp on walls supporting a floor ceiling assembly when you have living space above. 5/8 type x on the ceiling too.

The DOW insulation board does have approval to be left exposed (Superior Walls only) in basements but that does not take away from the other requirements.

Anyone know anything different backed up in writing?

Let me understand what you are saying Jar, in your understanding the Dow used in Superior is exempt from the separation requirement? ( that is the dim memory I have but like you would look for a back-up in writing) Also, the supporting walls that require protection would be to provide protection due to possibility of collapse. Concrete walls would not suffer from the same fate as a wood stud wall correct?

Also, the 5/8 type x is also just for garage separation as well?

SIFU....newer codes only require the 1/2" gyp.....we still have 5/8" for the garage seperation.....that is a seperate requirement from the ignition barrier....

Just located ICC ESR-1662, states a separate thermal ignition barrier is not required to separate the foam plastic from the interior of the building, based on testing in accordance with 2603.9 of IBC which uses the same testing criteria as that listed in the IRC. My conclusion is the ignition barrier is not required per the foam plastic requirements in the unfinished portion of the basements. I will still require the garage separation in that portion of the basement.