• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

More ranting about the ridiculous ICC site

texasbo

Platinum Member
Has anyone tried to sign up for a renewal exam on the ICC site? I have never experienced such a twisted, convoluted mess than trying to navigate through that system.

I challenge you to go to the ICC website and get through their maze to the point where you can register for an online exam. All I want to know is this: what is the cost of the overview of means of egress exam, and how many CEU's does it earn. Just get that simple information, and come back and tell me how long it took you.

Re: More ranting about the ridiculous ICC site

georgia plans exam said:
http://www.vcampus.com/cciivv/icc/catalog/offering/?coid=92189 Does this help? I saved the ICC Campus web site a while back. Not sure if this is what you're looking for. I agree, ICC is a mess.

GPE
It doesn't tell the CEU value. That was my point. You have to go to one place to find CEU's, then another menu that directs you to another list to find price. Then you have to know EXACTLY the name of the course you want to find it in the catalog, or wade through every title they have. You can find it all; it's just a long and winding road to get there.

Furthermore, I just tried to enter my CBO, Mech Inspector, and Plans Examiner cert numbers in the renewal form, and it said they were invalid. Yet they clearly show up on the roster.

I'm serious; you could not have created a less user friendly site if you were actually trying to do so. People should be fired over that abortion.

Tex - Being from NYS, I don't currently need anything from ICC. We have our own courses, testing and certification(s).

In the last two or three years the State has been accepting more ICC certs and CEUs, but they are not necessary here... yet. My fear (yes, FEAR) is that NYS will abandon its' program in the next few years and rely completely on ICC for training. I say 'fear' not from personal experience, but rather from what I've read and heard here and elsewhere.

Our current system of Basic Training carries no direct costs outside of my Jurisdiction paying me for the time I spend in classes, (and a relatively small cost for the in-service classes we take annually). The ICC courses carry what I would consider exorbitant costs.

For example, a local chapter provides an annual Spring Educational Conference. Three days (2 1/2 actually) of almost total immersion in code classes, 16-19 hours of in-service crdeit (24 is the required annual minimum) and the cost this past spring was under $300 per person. Hotel room is extra if needed (I usually commute the 70 or so miles each day). How many ICC offerings come in at less than $20 per credit hour?

NYS also requires a minimum number of credits in specified areas. That particular conference provides the minimum for each category by design. In other words, after that three day conference, you only need a handful of credits in any subject area to meet your State In-Service requirements to maintain your cert. AND there are only two certifications in NYS; Code Enforcement Official (can do it all) and Code Compliance Technician (limited scope of duties). Most have the CEO cert. Most NEED the CEO cert as the vast majority of jurisdictions are one-man operations. AND there are only two certifications in NYS; Code Enforcement Official (can do it all) and Code Compliance Technician (limited scope of duties). Most have the CEO cert. Most NEED the CEO cert as the vast majority of jurisdictions are one-man operations.

My local chapter offers credits at 10 out of 12 meetings a year (July is the 'Picnic' and December is the 'Holiday Party'). We also co-sponser the Spring Conference. Our chapter offered over 100 hours of training last year, that's more than 3 times the minimum! We take this s#!+ pretty seriously. And we leave little room for excuses.

Once upon a time (read as: Pre-ICC) NYS offered a wide variety of in-service courses every year, partly because they are required to by our States' enabling legislation. Between staff reductions (attrition, death, retirement, budget cuts), and most available staff being assigned to groups that 'refine' the I-Codes for adoption by NYS, the Dept of State has been gutted to the point that it is no longer able to provide these services at that level. Throw in a blanket hiring freeze by the Governor and you end up with local chapters picking up the slack.

Fortunately for me I belong to one of the most active chapters in the State. We have over 150 members, all certified CEOs who not only belong to the NYS Buiding Officials Conference (NYSBOC), but are (I believe) ALL voting members of ICC.

Sorry about the rant...

texasbo, Call Autum Sailor in the Birmingham office. 1-888-422-7233 Ext 5223. I had the exact same problem. Autum is a very nice lady and she will get this taken care of in very short order. jp

Post Script: Welcome home! Glad you found us. :D

jpranch said:
texasbo, Call Autum Sailor in the Birmingham office. 1-888-422-7233 Ext 5223. I had the exact same problem. Autum is a very nice lady and she will get this taken care of in very short order. jpPost Script: Welcome home! Glad you found us. :D
Thanks JP, glad I found you too, and happy to be back among friends.

But I shouldn't have to call anyone. It is criminal to put something so incompetent out for their own organization to have to deal with. You know, we all get sick of citizens saying "you work for me", but in reality we do. And ICC works for us; we are not their subjects, it is OUR organization, and we shouldn't have to settle for the crap they're putting out.

texasbo, gpe, John and others,

I haven't tried to navigate around the ICC web site in quite awhile now. I agree that it and

ICC as a whole is in a serious mess. FWIW, do not expect things to get any better either!

My viewpoint is that I believe ICC is in a state of free-fall and that things are going to get

worse, ...MUCH worse! :eek:

My hope is that some of the existing 3rd party companies out there will see a good source

of revenue potential and will start designing / offering code training classes based on the

ICC codes. At least until someone, ...somewhere comes up with a viable alternative to

the ICC codes monopoly.

Maybe the ' peach ', or ' packsaddle ', or ' pyrguy ', or Mike Myers' employer [ and

others ] can shed some light on this topic.

We feel your pain texasbo !!

Also, I decided NOT to renew my membership with ICC. There is very little return on my

membership dues.

I have tried to sign up for all electronic email up dates and Building safety journal three times. Haven't got one piece of info from ICC since the site and the old BB went down. The first time I tried to login it took me 3 hrs to get the welcome new member. The whole dam thing is a mess.

I may even fly to Texas this spring or where ever the next ICC Board of fools meets and tell them so!

Even though I made a promise to myself after Baltimore to just forget about the whole mess.

Building insp in the jurisdiction next to me ordered new code books 3 weeks ago yet to receive them :roll: :roll:

ICC made a poor choice of platform (in my opinion)...

The site still logs me out if I'm not continuously doing something.. Hopefully they will fix this soon...

I ordered code books and they sent them to my former employer twice removed...haven't been there since 1996, BEFORE the merger.