• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Mortar from a caulking gun?

MikeC

Silver Member
I was speechless. Some sort of caulking used as mortar. I didn't even know what it violated. The best I could come up with on the spot was IPMC 102.5Yes, I stuck my knife in it. I figured if it was properly done, I shouldn't be able to do any damage with a knife. Just another slumlord adding lipstick to a pig.

View attachment 2014

View attachment 2015

View attachment 2014

View attachment 2015

/monthly_2013_11/ResizedImage_1384982400704.jpg.f936ff31ab889ebaf11bb27774722bd3.jpg

/monthly_2013_11/2013-11-20_15-32-53_852.jpg.d97aec2613429c1c6a43a3bc4be2d176.jpg

MikeC said:
I was speechless. Some sort of caulking used as mortar. I didn't even know what it violated. The best I could come up with on the spot was IPMC 102.5Yes, I stuck my knife in it. I figured if it was properly done, I shouldn't be able to do any damage with a knife. Just another slumlord adding lipstick to a pig.

View attachment 2172

View attachment 2173
Several companies produce a latex sanded compound for pointing up motor joints.

MikeC said:
But to be used for new block? Somebody is going to have to show me it is approved for that.
Not designed as a structural compound, only as a point up for small cracks etc.

I used grey latex caulk to repair non-structural brick mortar joints a couple of times... I also googled 'mortar in a caulk gun' and found that most listed were for latex based pointing repair, but... one manufacturer does make a caulk gun like device that can deliver actual mortar for bedding. I didn't take the time to read the details, but I would imagine that it is site mixed mortar that is applied via the device, as mortar will hydrate even in a sealed container (lacking some alternative mixture that would delay the process).

If it doesn't comply with ASTM C 270, and if its not type M or S it can't be used for structural in foundation walls. IRC 607.1