• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Motorcycle Round II

jar546

Forum Coordinator
My first motorcycle was a little 60cc Benelli when I was around 8 years old. I would tear up the little dirt alleyway behind my house. Within a few years I was on an Indian Enduro which I kept up until I went in the Marine Corps. I beat the hell out of that bike out on old logging roads, running up and down old culm banks, dirt tracks and jumps. Heck, I even bent the frame from jumping. I was a maniac on that bike.

Fast forward to the the Marine Corps and I would take rides on street bikes that some of my friends owned and that is when I lost interest. A few of them had bad accidents which to be hones with you scared my and from that point on my fear of riding motorcycles was stronger than my desire to ride them. Then I became a father and riding was the last thing on my mind. Eventually I test drove a bike here and there as the kids got older but could never justify buying one. I even tried a sport bike, aka crotch rocket and did not like the feel of that whatsoever. Anytime you attach handles to the top of the forks makes you question the purpose of the bike.

Then it happened a few months ago. Someone asked me to help them go pick up their scooter they left at work because of a rainstorm. When we arrived and I was suppose to drop them off, I told them I wanted to drive the scooter back. It was only an 8 mile ride and I just felt like it. That was all it took. Eight miles of smiling like an 8 year old while weaving through traffic. I was like being transported in time when I got my Benelli. I then spent the next few months trying to justify buying a bike, especially in Florida, the motorcycle death capital of the US, and in south Florida nonetheless. Anyway, I decided that if I stayed off 95 & the turnpike and limit my travel on the main east/west corridors, I would be just fine.

I test drove just about everything there was to test drive. Probably one of my favorite was a Triumph Speed Twin but realized I did not need 1200cc of power for what I wanted to do. I also tried Ducati, HD, Indian, KTM and settled in on a nice lightweight Honda Rebel. It is perfect for what I want to do, mostly cruising up and down A1A while looking out at the beach and going back an forth to work. In less than 5 days I already had to schedule my initial 500 mile service for this week. So far, so good. Do I want more HP? Yes, do I need it? Absolutely not. Just me, no passengers and this thing flies. Oh yeah, liquid cooled too!

I still miss riding dirt bikes but that is not an option down here.

IMG_5593.jpg

Nice

I have almost the same history, except if I bought a bike now,,

The bike would not kill me, my wife would, and but the one ride used bike up for sale.

I keep thinking street legal dune buggy.

Nice. My first and only was a kawasaki 90 street-dirt bike. Lots of fun. Did you consider a larger moped?
You used the term culm bank ... whazzat?

Nice. My first and only was a kawasaki 90 street-dirt bike. Lots of fun. Did you consider a larger moped?
You used the term culm bank ... whazzat?
The byproduct of mining and strip mining. The stuff that is not coal but surrounds the coal.

2647417715_cf87906833_c.jpg
Culm_Bank_in_Pittston%2C_PA%2C_USA.jpg

Mine was a Honda 90, looked like a girls bike, but I didn't care, rode it like it was a dirt bike. Spent my 15th birthday in ICU, unconscious. Competing with a Honda XR75, in a jumping contest. Didn't cure me from the riding bug. Current ride since 2002, 1997 HD Fatboy.

Mine was a Honda 90, looked like a girls bike, but I didn't care, rode it like it was a dirt bike. Spent my 15th birthday in ICU, unconscious. Competing with a Honda XR75, in a jumping contest. Didn't cure me from the riding bug. Current ride since 2002, 1997 HD Fatboy.

I'm waiting for you to bust my chops for my bike choice...............................

I'm waiting for you to bust my chops for my bike choice...............................

Nope, not one of those HD owners that turn up their noses at metric bikes. Last bike I had before taking a timeout, for all the reasons you listed, was a 74 750 Suzuki.

Like I always told my buddy, on his 750 Intruder, (in his pre-HD days), whatever takes you down the road on two wheels.

My Granddad had to of those we used to take to the mountains. Learned to ride standing in the middle cause my legs were to short. :D Started racing dirt bikes with a friend when I was 10. Started on 60cc then up to 250cc. Had a YZ500 2 stroke in me teens that would leave your head 10 ft behind you when you nailed it.:eek: Switched to atv in early 20's. Due to 2 herniated discs & 2 bad knees Traded my 2006 Suzuki LTR450 quad for an 2004 Suzuki VS1400 Intruder. Still ride it now. Sure miss the dirt but prefer to walk and ride so I stay away.

my250r11 came from my favorite bike and my number plate from teens.

Last edited:
My Granddad had to of those we used to take to the mountains. Learned to ride standing in the middle cause my legs were to short. :D Started racing dirt bikes with a friend when I was 10. Started on 60cc then up to 250cc. Had a YZ500 2 stroke in me teens that would leave your head 10 ft behind you when you nailed it.:eek: Switched to atv in early 20's. Due to 2 herniated discs & 2 bad knees Traded my 2006 Suzuki LTR450 quad for an 2004 Suzuki VS1400 Intruder. Still ride it now. Sure miss the dirt but prefer to walk and ride so I stay away.

my250r11 can from my favorite bike and my number plate from teens.
A YZ500 is a serious bike for its intended use

Not a fan of dirt but respect the wheels. Rode many sport bikes and enjoyed cruisers on a limited basis, preferred to go fast. Like most drifted away from it as life & responsibilities ramped up. My son bought his first bike and I’m feeling the pressure but w a daughter in college and bills to go with doubt it’ll happen.

My first motorcycle was a little 60cc Benelli when I was around 8 years old. I would tear up the little dirt alleyway behind my house. Within a few years I was on an Indian Enduro which I kept up until I went in the Marine Corps. I beat the hell out of that bike out on old logging roads, running up and down old culm banks, dirt tracks and jumps. Heck, I even bent the frame from jumping. I was a maniac on that bike.

Fast forward to the the Marine Corps and I would take rides on street bikes that some of my friends owned and that is when I lost interest. A few of them had bad accidents which to be hones with you scared my and from that point on my fear of riding motorcycles was stronger than my desire to ride them. Then I became a father and riding was the last thing on my mind. Eventually I test drove a bike here and there as the kids got older but could never justify buying one. I even tried a sport bike, aka crotch rocket and did not like the feel of that whatsoever. Anytime you attach handles to the top of the forks makes you question the purpose of the bike.

Then it happened a few months ago. Someone asked me to help them go pick up their scooter they left at work because of a rainstorm. When we arrived and I was suppose to drop them off, I told them I wanted to drive the scooter back. It was only an 8 mile ride and I just felt like it. That was all it took. Eight miles of smiling like an 8 year old while weaving through traffic. I was like being transported in time when I got my Benelli. I then spent the next few months trying to justify buying a bike, especially in Florida, the motorcycle death capital of the US, and in south Florida nonetheless. Anyway, I decided that if I stayed off 95 & the turnpike and limit my travel on the main east/west corridors, I would be just fine.

I test drove just about everything there was to test drive. Probably one of my favorite was a Triumph Speed Twin but realized I did not need 1200cc of power for what I wanted to do. I also tried Ducati, HD, Indian, KTM and settled in on a nice lightweight Honda Rebel. It is perfect for what I want to do, mostly cruising up and down A1A while looking out at the beach and going back an forth to work. In less than 5 days I already had to schedule my initial 500 mile service for this week. So far, so good. Do I want more HP? Yes, do I need it? Absolutely not. Just me, no passengers and this thing flies. Oh yeah, liquid cooled too!

I still miss riding dirt bikes but that is not an option down here.

View attachment 6831

Didn't try a Harley? Honda imitation (smiling) probably more durable?

My younger brother many years ago was looking at cruisers, went to the Honda Dealer and was looking at a Honda, trying to be a HD. He asked the salesman what the difference was between the Honda and a the Harley, the guy straight faced said "About $10,000, and a bunch of repair bills".

He still ended up with a HD.

You do know what HD means, right?

Hunnerd dollars!

A YZ500 is a serious bike for its intended use

Yes it was. It and the CR500.

That bike was the first one that really scared me. It had huge power with little effort!!! You know how it is when your young and invincible. You want to be big and faster than everyone else. That bike put some prospective in my life for sure.

That bike was the first one that really scared me. It had huge power with little effort!!! You know how it is when your young and invincible. You want to be big and faster than everyone else. That bike put some prospective in my life for sure.
I see the The Commish is still helping you write posts.

Sounds like my first, and last ride drive on a newer Suzuki GSX-R750. it was the hottest thing on the market at the time, mid-80's,my lil Bro had bought it. I jumped on, ran it around 3/4 of the subdivision perimeter, the last side started at a 3-way stop sign. I jumped on a left turn, kinda cut off a Mustang, heard him flogging it so, of course, I had to. I was doing 95 in two blocks, in low 3rd gear when I realized my left turn was coming to fast, I hit the brakes, kinda locked up the rear, but made the turn. Got back to the house, got off, and told my Bro to never let me ride it again. Haven't been on one since.