• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Multi-story type A?

Sifu

SAWHORSE
I have an R2 project with 1 main building with 344 units, and two small separate multi-story townhome buildings (4 units in one, 5 in the other). The main building has 13 multi-story units in it, with ground floor access and steps to the sleeping room above.

I need to see 2% of the total project as type A units. There is no multi-story exception for type A's, so the townhomes and the multi-story units in the main building are subject to the requirement. But if within the project, can a single level unit, of a size and layout that is similar to the multi-story units be accepted instead of providing a multi-story type A unit? For example, the multi-story units in the main building have a living, cooking/eating and toilet room on the main level, and laundry, sleeping and toilet room on the upper level. The unit total is 930sf². If they have a single level unit, with a single bedroom of similar unit size, can that count as a type A unit instead of the multi-story unit? Same with the townhomes; parking level, living level and 2 bedroom upper level. If I have a 2 bedroom unit in the main building of similar size, then could that suffice as a type A unit for dispersement? All units on the project have access to the same amenities.

Out here in California, we don't follow the Type A / Type B descriptions, so I don't have much insight on that particular issue. However, 2010 ADA Standards 233.3.5 contains this exception:

1681922955521.png

Out here in California, we don't follow the Type A / Type B descriptions, so I don't have much insight on that particular issue. However, 2010 ADA Standards 233.3.5 contains this exception:

View attachment 10541
Thanks, That is an exception that would answer my question. I think it is acceptable and in line with what I think the IBC would permit.

In NC it depends upon the funding, sometimes multistory townhomes still require accessibilty to the first floor elements - almost like the accessible unit C in the code that has not been fully developed. i.e first floor restroom and accessible entrances may be requird for visitors --- but the upsstairs are not required to be accessible.