• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Multiple Ceilings

hlfireinspector

Silver Member
2006 Existing Building Code: I have a room inside a large warehouse that has been remodeled. When I went to do the hood inspection I found they had left the hard deck ceiling in place. They had cut several holes in the HD to suspend the new suspended ceiling and the new hood. the area above the HD never had sprinkler heads as it was noncombustible. The area between the HD and suspended ceiling now has no sprinklers and the heads had been dropped into the suspended ceiling. I know it is not good practice to have several ceilings but is there a code section that would require removal of the HD?

only thing I can think of is maybe strucural, is all that stuff supported properly

It's Drywall over metal studs. The plans say to cut holes in deck to expose needed piping and mechanical, reroute as needed and seal holes back up. I would rather the holes remain as fire streams could at least reach the upper area in a fire event.