• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Multiple restrooms, tenant spaces not accessible

tom

2003 IBC. Just verifying that I am on the correct path. New 6 story office bld under construction has public accessible restrooms in corridors. During tenant upfits, designers have shown non-accessible restrooms in their spaces, offering the accessible public restrooms "down the hall". I say no, those restrooms don't meet the exceptions in 2003 IBC 1109.2. These are not restrooms accessed through a private office. They are typical ganged fixtures similar to the restrooms in the corridors but not accessible. Happy holidays.....thanks all

Re: Multiple restrooms, tenant spaces not accessible

tom - You are on the right path. The section you provide requires at least one of each type of fixture in each of those rooms to be accessible.

IF they are not serving a single occupant of a private office, I see no other exception that would apply to the situation you describe.

Wait a few hours though... Gene or some of the other 'Access Gurus' here may have a different take.

You are correct. The new restrooms can be "employee only", with the public accessible restrooms down the hall, however the "employee only" restrooms must be accessible.

Toilet and Bathing rooms SHALL be accessible. Section 1109.2. The only exceptions for a public or commercial use type building are found later in that same Section and are related to toilet rooms that are accessible only through private offices and for the use of a single user.

"Define tenant upfits" Shell building is sometimes completed quicker than tenants are found. Often, different contractors are found to complete this work. Fairly typical in office buildings in this area (Charlottesville VA) Thanks all, a BIG help that is much appreciated!

"SHALL be accessible", pretty clear to me.........did this battle a few months ago, I asked if they were going to think about providing segregated drinking fountains also........ :roll: