• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Multiple Tenants One Water Heater

vegeta82

I am curious if the IPC/IRC restricts multiple tenants from sharing a Water Heater. I am not seeing any such prohibition.

I understand this may be a bad idea but I am curious only about defensible code positions.

Various Conditions would be Two Family Dwellings, Townhouses, Apartment Units in R-2 Construction.

I thought the Energy Code would be the most likely place for a code restriction, but I couldn't find anything inn R403 or C403. However, the energy code is so complicated and poorly organized that it might be hiding somewhere else in there.

It would need to be sized accordingly for the load and accessible for repairs without entering a dwelling unit IMHO

P2801.4 Location.
Water heaters and storage tanks shall be installed in accordance with Section M1305 and shall be located and connected to provide access for observation, maintenance, servicing and replacement.

M1305.1 Appliance access for inspection service, repair and replacement.
Appliances shall be located to allow for access for inspection, service, repair and replacement without removing permanent construction, other appliances, or any other piping or ducts not connected to the appliance being inspected, serviced, repaired or replaced. A level working space not less than 30 inches deep and 30 inches wide (762 mm by 762 mm) shall be provided in front of the control side to service an appliance.