• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Must basement bedrooms have egress windows if there are two stair exits?

root

I am designing a finished basement with two bedrooms. Each bedroom has a small existing window. There are two existing staircases leading up to a door to the backyard and another door out front.

The two bedroom windows are in the setback, which means I can't enlarge them to create egress without a special permit or variance.

So my question is, can those two stairs be considered two means of egress for the bedrooms? In other words, do I have to have egress windows if there are two separate common exits in the basement already?

Thank you in advance.

Each sleeping room requires an emergency escape and rescue opening.

R310.1 Emergency escape and rescue opening required.
Basements, habitable attics and every sleeping room shall have not less than one operable emergency escape and rescue opening. Where basements contain one or more sleeping rooms, an emergency escape and rescue opening shall be required in each sleeping room. Emergency escape and rescue openings shall open directly into a public way, or to a yard or court that opens to a public way.

I am designing a finished basement with two bedrooms. Each bedroom has a small existing window. There are two existing staircases leading up to a door to the backyard and another door out front.

The two bedroom windows are in the setback, which means I can't enlarge them to create egress without a special permit or variance.

So my question is, can those two stairs be considered two means of egress for the bedrooms? In other words, do I have to have egress windows if there are two separate common exits in the basement already?

Thank you in advance.
Yes, they must, regardless of how many exit stairs you need.

There are ways to design without setback issues if it is set up as landscaping.

All above are correct. Hard to believe that making the windows compliant would take a variance.

Yes, they must, regardless of how many exit stairs you need.

There are ways to design without setback issues if it is set up as landscaping.
Interesting. Do you have an example?

Interesting. Do you have an example?
Most setbacks are for mechanical equipment, building foundation, roof overhang, driveway, patio, sidewalks, etc. If you simply have a plastic at grade retainer no bigger than the flower bed, it may not count in zoning ordinances.
Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 06.18.38.png

Most setbacks are for mechanical equipment, building foundation, roof overhang, driveway, patio, sidewalks, etc. If you simply have a plastic at grade retainer no bigger than the flower bed, it may not count in zoning ordinances.
View attachment 9118
There's plenty wrong with that installation. Starting with plastic retaining wall. Caulk must come in buckets.

I happen to think it is perfect. Caulking for what?
The window trim is over the siding. That leaves 1/2" gap between the trim and the CMU. If a starter strip was used to kick out the bottom of the siding, there is near an inch gap between the window trim and the CMU. The white stuff has the appearance of caulk. If there is no caulk there is a problem. When caulk is the only barrier to keep water out, there will be a problem in the future.

There should be a Z flashing over the head trim. As it is, even with caulk, water will get behind the trim and pool in all of the dips and valleys of the caulk. That's why to never place caulk behind head trim....especially wood trim.

Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 06.18.38.jpeg

A trowel might have been used and the Rubbermaid wall segment is attached to the CMU with some sort of corner aid.

Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 06.18.38 2.jpeg

A person exiting through the window will grasp the top of the plastic divider and attempt to pull themselves through the window. That might collapse the well. The window crank is perfectly placed to catch clothes. And just to be thorough, what's the dimensions of the net free opening. The grade floor five square feet looks questionable.

Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 06.18.38.png

Here's another example of a tabletop retaining wall:

IMG_2164.JPG

You know Jeff, you really should post more pictures of stuff.

Last edited: