• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

MyGovernmentOnline Permitting Software

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Our jurisdiction is switching from SmartGov to MyGovernmentOnline and going live on February 1, 2024. We have reached our limit with SmartGov and although they might be great for a one-man operation with limited permits, however, for multiple departments doing plan review, the workflow is sub-par.

MyGovernmentOnline is out of Louisiana and is actually a government agency that is an actual building department so they are not profit-driven, hence the great pricing. They do what we do and they have been working on and using their own software for the past 18 years. I evaluated their software for over 2 years before committing to the change. There were a few upgrades they were making that I waited for, one of them being the integration with Bluebeam.

So far the buildout has been pretty good, but I do have experience building out permitting software. I will do a review once we go live and have a few months of experience in the real world. I chose to run the existing system until the contract ends at the end of June so the systems will be running parallel for about 4 months or so. This will allow us to close out permits and those contractors that are under the old SmartGov system won't have to relearn another system in the middle of their project. In addition, that allows us time to work on the data migration from the old system to the new which is the Achilles heel of any software change and the most difficult part.

Does anyone have any experience with MyGovernmentOnline (MGO)? I am here at an MGO conference and they are releasing new updates and changes to the system to keep up with and in some instances, lead the industry with workflow and other practical options. I did visit some other municipalities that are using MGO. What I found interesting is that some municipalities are using the bare basics of it and others are using it to its full potential.

Thoughts?

I am very interested in this if it will work with Blue Beam. Please let me know your opinion after you have gone live and had a chance to work through the bugs that may be there.

we are using tyler technologies. and have upgraded to a new system. lots of problems and support is slow to help

UPDATE:

We went live February 1st and are still working out the bugs. In my opinion, MGO expanded too quickly, are spending time creating a new platform and just don't have the staff to handle new implementations, routine maintenance and the massive task of creating a major upgrade. It is functional and certainly a better experience for the public that applies for permits & schedules inspections through their portal but it is coming at a bit of a cost in labor to the Building Department. It is a great system and works well, but ironing out the implementation issues has been more time consuming and delayed than expected. This was without a data migration from our old system. We are still running our old system until June 1st when all the old permits that are left will be migrated.

Anyone else out there working with MGO?

I am very interested in this if it will work with Blue Beam. Please let me know your opinion after you have gone live and had a chance to work through the bugs that may be there.
It works with Bluebeam, however, the MGO sessions are not actual Bluebeam sessions which is a bit of a learning curve when you are used to working with an actual Bluebeam session. We are still ironing out some kinks.

Jar - Looking forward to future updates. Our jurisdiction is about to invite a number of vendors to the table for a discussion regarding replacing our in house built system, likely early in '25. Bluebeam integration would be a big win for us, given how much time our plan review staff have invested in learning how to use BB over the last few years!