• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Nat'l Std. Gen. Bld. Contractor -A

KZQuixote

Sawhorse
I took the National Standard Residential Building Contractor -C exam six weeks ago. Now I've set my sights on the "A" exam. They don't offer a study course for the contractor's exam so I took the Commercial Inspector's course and practice exam. Had no problem there.

As I look at the major content areas I see that 46% of the "A" exam is on structural and design. The only approved reference is the 2006 IBC. Can any of you folks suggest any other lite reading I might peruse as I get ready?

I've got to say reading about your issues and following the discussions through the code book is a great way to learn. Thanks for that!!!

TIA

Bill

Back in the old ICBO days when I took my Building Inspector, there was a lot on Masonry, and Concrete, so if you could get your hands on an ACI manual maybe. I would just spend the time getting real familiar with the layout of the structural chapters in the IBC myself.

Good Luck!

I stood for the the ICC Building Contractor's Class A exam this morning and passed. CBO next ?

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

Congratulations KZ!

BTB, do you have relations named "Don"? :D

I took the Oregon Certified Inspector exam last month, passed. That, along with the ICC B1 exam I passed earlier this week gives me my first certification. I've no plans to pursue a job as an inspector, just something to add to my CV.

Bill

Oh, come on over to the dark side..........muhahaha.

But seriously, congratulations and good work picking up these certifications!

Thanks fatboy!

I was a little disappointed with the exam. I thought it would have been more difficult than the contractor's ICC exams I've taken, it wasn't. Not one question about seismic categories or braced wall lines. Course I suppose these might be better fodder for plans examiner exams.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator: