• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Natural gas connection

cda

Sawhorse 123
so free standing gas range/stove

I want to change from electric to gas.

House has gas already, just need to get it to where the stove will be.

Have not called my cities BO, but inspector in the city I work in says the gas valve cannot be behind the range. It has to be to the side.

I think my city is under 2012 IMC

Yes or no on allowed behind the stove ??

Code section??

Thanks

@ = @ = @

cda,

Is this a Commercial question, or a Residential question ?

FWIW, ...please refer to Section 409.5 in the `12 IFGC,
and Section G2420.5 in the `12 IRC.

@ = @ = @

Reactions: cda
@ = @ = @

cda,

Is this a Commercial question, or a Residential question ?

FWIW, ...please refer to Section 409.5 in the `12 IFGC,
and Section G2420.5 in the `12 IRC.

@ = @ = @

Sorry was supposed to be residential, my house

If someone wants to move this to residential !!!

Open to interpretation???

G2420.1.3 (409.1.3) Access to shutoff valves.
Shutoff valves shall be located in places so as to provide access for operation and shall be installed so as to be protected from damage.

G2420.5.1 (409.5.1) Located within same room.
The shutoff valve shall be located in the same room as the appliance. The shutoff valve shall be within 6 feet (1829 mm) of the appliance, and shall be installed upstream of the union, connector or quick disconnect device it serves. Such shutoff valves shall be provided with access. Appliance shutoff valves located in the firebox of a fireplace shall be installed in accordance with the appliance manufacturer’s instructions.

I've had this discussion before, and it keeps coming back to, if you are using a flexible connector (which you are, of course), then the stove can be moved out, and you have the required access to the valve.

Is it convenient? No.

Code compliant? Yes.

No different than your gas clothes dryer.

Seldom is there room on the side for a valve.....its mostly covered in cabinet. The connector is never long enough to pull the stove out far enough to access the valve while standing on the floor. Upside down while laying on the stove or counter is as accessible as it gets. Even if there is room on the side the valve is behind the stove. Along with dust balls, a spoon and what looks like a slice of bread.

6' flexible gas connectors are as long or longer than the 220 cord connector on my electric stove, I have no problem moving the stove out far enough to disconnect it. Or my gas dryer............

And I am fatboy............ ;)

Wasn't three feet the code limit for many years? I looked at a house where the stove was moved to a new location and the owner strung connectors in the back of the cabinets.

Last edited:
Wasn't three feet the code limit for many years? I looked at a house where the stove was moved to a new location and the owner strung connectors in the back of the cabinets.

I seem to remember a 3' limitation in the past, but can't remember what it applied to, as I remember the 6' also being in there. Have to check my old books at work.

Ok will call my city Monday

I have around three inch outside circumfrance pipe running from the meter

And near where I want to extend it I have two capped connections that the pipe has been teed and is around 2 1/2 inch circumference.
Not sure on what schedule, but house was built in the 70's.

I looked for a conversion chart and not finding it or do not know how to read it.

So what do around 3 and 2 1/2 outside equal to inside??

Thank you again

11.1.3.1 Maximum length.
Connectors shall have an
overall length not to exceed 3 feet (914 mm), except for
range and domestic clothes dryer connectors, which shall
not exceed 6 feet (1829 mm) in overall length. Measure
-
ment shall be made along the centerline of the connector.
Only one connector shall be used for each appliance.

Reactions: ICE
CAF4FBAC-68D8-4588-BF9F-D53F2796F453.jpeg

I know I keep extending this thread,,, sorry

So natural gas line extension day is set.

Already pulled the wall oven. Committed now.

So my question what should I do with the electrical wire left over ??

The area will be turned into cabinet.

Breaker to it is off.

Fairly sure at this point it will not be used again.

1. Cut it off at the wall?

2. Cut it off at the wall and disconnect the wires at the breaker?? I am not comfortable touching electric.

3. Put a small j box, in case I need it somewhere down the line???

4. Other ?

This is not a DIY site. Perhaps burningdownthehouse.com can be of some help.

I do not do electric dyi, unless changing a switch or fan or something easy.

If I have the breaker wires disconnected, it will be done by an electrician.

That is why I am looking here, for the best advice in the world!!

I do not do electric dyi, unless changing a switch or fan or something easy.

If I have the breaker wires disconnected, it will be done by an electrician.

That is why I am looking here, for the best advice in the world!!

The NEC is very silent on the removal of old house wiring (it's a different story with low-voltage, however) so I would terminate the old cable ends with wire nuts in the panel and tag them UNUSED/ABANDONED then do the same on the other end in a junction box even though that junction box will not be accessible. Mark the wires and junction box ABANDONED/UNUSED. That is about the only thing I can think of.

This is not a DIY site. .
C'mon Ice, he's been on the forum a long time and has been a good contributer. Cut him a little slack and offer constructive advice. Appreciate that he is trying to do it right.

C'mon Ice, he's been on the forum a long time and has been a good contributer. Cut him a little slack and offer constructive advice. Appreciate that he is trying to do it right.

Oh I think he knows where I am coming from.