• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Natural gas pipe in residential garage

jar546

Forum Coordinator
1) subject to physical damage

2) I love the choice of incorrect hangars

IMG_1565.JPG

Re: Natural gas pipe in residential garage

Did someone forget to install the gas pipe until final; or did they change their mind and decided they didn't want electric?

Uncle Bob

1) The bumpers on his SUV are higher than that. :D

2) Are you suggesting that copper and steel don't work well with each other? :shock:

"With a little additional material above the gas pipe, that would be a great place to store all my fishing rods!" I think theres room below the pipe for a couple tackel boxes too! ;)

First time I've seen that!

C'mon you guys don't get excited, it's just a ballet bar for very short people.

High Desert - Thanks for the clarification - I thought it was the grab bar for the accessible restroom they are going to put into the garage (without permit) after final inspection passes.

H D - That's 'Vertically Challenged', we don't say things like 'short people' anymore! :roll: :mrgreen:

Sorry JD, I should have known better. For all of the vertically challenged persons out there, please accept my sincerest apology.

What section of the code covers "subject to physical damage"?

Just wondering.

Mule - for those IAPMO types, UMC 308.1 covers protection against damage... IMC 303.4 also covers this for the I-code types.

Personally, I don't think that gas line would fall under "Protection against damage" per

308.1 because it's not an "Appliance". It doesn't appear to me to be subject to mechanical damage unless you hit it with your car...then the whole wall would be subject to mechanical damage anyway......JMHO. The hangers, on the other hand.... :roll:

Yey for Beach! It's an iron pipe. Hit it with a car, go ahead and then go buy a new front end for the car.

Beach, that's why I posted the question. I am under the same opinion.

Assuming this is a side wall--It is over a curb so not subject to damage, should also be protected by being behind the wall beside the door.

End wall it is in bumper height range and needs protection.

The only thing I see wrong with it is possibly the penetration needs sealed as it enters the garage/house wall. As far as the hangers are concerned, there is no requirement to use a listed bracket, unless MSS SP 58 states something of the sort (G2418.2).

By the way, does anyone here have a copy of the MSS SP 58 to reference hangers and supports (Manufacturers Standardization Society of the Valve and Fittings Industry)? It might be interesting to see what it says about supporting gas piping.

I was always under the impression that galvanic reaction requires the introduction of some type of electrolyte to take place?.....Am I way off or what?