• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Natural Gas Service Under Exterior Stair

Markmax33

Bronze Member
All, I came across an interesting situation in a recent final inspeciton. This natural gas service was installed directly under an exterior stair for a new motel style occupancy. The Navy uses NFPA 101 for egress which doesn't address this situation exactly, as far as I can tell. It looks wrong, but I can't figure out a reference exactly to make them change it.

View attachment 1776

View attachment 1776

/monthly_2013_04/photo.JPG.4998e2d67c6842694dcd692508651c9a.JPG

Cannot tell what all is there and no code ref,

But to close to an opening?

Hazard to egress from the stairs should be in 101

What edition do they use?

Might just be in another type code. Fuel mechanical

2000 version 9.1 refers you to nfpa 54 and 58

It is the incoming service for the natural gas. There is an earthquake shutoff valve on it. We use NFPA 101 2012. I'm concerned more about the fact it's under the stairs than anything else .

Markmax33,

Question the Gas Provider. What do they say? What are their requirements for service clearances and access?

And is there also a water meter under the stairs? If so, what service clearances and equipment access do they require?

(It would not be approved in this region.)

:cool:

Markmax33,

Typically, the gas supplier dictates the clearances around their

equipment, but it has always been my understanding that a

minimum of 3 ft. is the norm......The graphics from the Puget

Sound Energy guide doesn't allow anything under a stairway.

You may want to contact the gas supplier of your particular

application.

The link is from Puget Sound, Washington.

http://pse.com/accountsandservices/Construction/Documents/3885.pdf

See Page 5 of 6.

Also, ...see Section 101.2.4, Note # 16, in the `06 IFGC.

The meter is outside the scope of the construction codes!

:cool:

Markmax33 said:
It is the incoming service for the natural gas. There is an earthquake shutoff valve on it. We use NFPA 101 2012. I'm concerned more about the fact it's under the stairs than anything else .
Me too.....

Maybe if your stuck with it some hefty bollards and steel plate attached to the stairs underneath

mtlogcabin said:
Maybe pipe the relief vent from under the stairs to a more open or higher location
I would want the entire thing out from under there

1018.1 General. Exits shall comply with Sections1018 through 1023 and the applicable requirements of Section1003

through 1013. An exit shall not be used for any purpose that interferes with its function as a means of egress. Once a given

level of exit protection is achieved, such level of protection shall not be reduced until arrival at the exit discharge.

1023.1 Exterior exit ramps and stairways. Exterior exit

ramps and stairways serving as an element of a required means

of egress shall comply with this section.

IFC 2006 Would use section 1018.1

We dont adopt a fire code like other jurisdictions. We pretty much operate on the IBC for structural, Life Safety for Egress and the NFPAs for everything else. NFPA 1 would be applicable but it's largely a conglomeration of the other NFPA codes.