• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Natural Light in Multifamily Residential Bedrooms

drubinoff

Hi,

I'm designing a renovation/addition to a small urban mixed use building which will add three or four apartments on the 2nd (existing) and 3rd (new) floors. This is in Massachusetts where the 2009 IBC is in effect with MA amendments. IEBC §911.1 invokes the IBC. IBC §1205.2 states the minimum net glazed area shall not be less than 8% of the floor area of the room served. Does this mean that a bedroom internal to something like a loft apartment must have an exterior window? I had thought that if the building were sprinklered we didn't necessarily need a window (for egress, at least). Can not artificial light and ventilation substitute for a bedroom window in such a circumstance?

Looking at 2009 IBC §1205.2.1 seems to demand that half the common wall be open, which may not be reasonable from the point of view of bedroom privacy.

Additionally, the 2nd floor facade is of historical nature and may not already have glazing that's 8% of the floor area served.

The third floor interior rooms I can take care of with skylights. However, the 2nd floor interior rooms (like bedrooms) seem to be a problem.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Derek

drubinoff,

Welcome to the Building Codes Forum!

From the 2009 IBC, Section 1205 = Lighting:

1205.1 General. Every space intended for human occupancy shall be provided with natural

light by means of exterior glazed openings in accordance with Section 1205.2 or shall be

provided with artificial light in accordance with Section 1205.3. Exterior glazed openings

shall open directly onto a public way or onto a yard or court in accordance with Section 1206.

Artificial light is permitted!