• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

natural stone exterior stairs

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
There is a stairway built with natural stone. I was built by the landscapers. Goes from pool area to driveway for a house. It does not get close to the requirements for a stairway under 2009 IRC R311.7. Even though it is not a means of egress for a dwelling doesn't the stairway need to comply with code?

Rick,

Not sure what you have but sounds like you have something in the yard that looks like a pathway that was laid out to be some sort of landscape feature.

I am not sure in your area, but sounds like a foot path not a stairway.

I am also figuring the main access and there is other access to the pool thus this is not really in the scope of the code.

But without better info, not sure what you have