• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Navigating the 2020 NEC Updates - A Basic Look at Some Key Changes - New for Florida 2024

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Navigating the 2020 NEC Updates - A Basic Look at Some Key Changes

The National Electrical Code (NEC) 2020 edition has introduced several significant updates. These changes are aimed at enhancing safety, accommodating new technologies, and simplifying compliance. Below, we delve into the most impactful amendments and their implications for the electrical industry.

1. Terminal Connection Torque Requirements (110.14(D)): A major focus of the 2020 NEC is on ensuring that electrical connections are properly torqued. Incorrectly torqued connections can lead to overheating, arcing, and potential fires. The new requirement mandates that installations must comply with the manufacturer's torque specifications, and documentation must be available on-site.
  2. GFCI Protection Expansion (210.8): Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter protection now covers more areas in both residential and commercial settings. The update extends GFCI requirements to basements, indoor areas, and specific appliances. This change reflects an ongoing commitment to prevent electrical shock injuries.
  3. Surge Protection for Dwelling Unit Services (230.67): The new code requires surge protection for all services supplying dwelling units. This measure is designed to protect sensitive electronic equipment from voltage spikes.
  4. Service Disconnects (230.71): The NEC has revised its approach to service disconnects, reducing the maximum number of disconnects from six to one, except where specific conditions are met. This aims to simplify installations and enhance safety.
  5. Emergency Disconnects for Dwelling Units (230.85): A new addition to the NEC, emergency disconnects must now be installed for new construction of one- and two-family dwellings. This enhances safety for emergency responders, allowing them to quickly disconnect power.
  6. Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection (240.67 & 240.87): The 2020 NEC has expanded AFCI protection to mitigate the risk of electrical fires due to arcing faults. It now covers more types of equipment and situations, emphasizing preventive safety.
  7. Receptacle Installation in Bathtubs and Shower Spaces (406.9(C)): Receptacles are now prohibited within a specified zone in and around bathtubs and shower stalls. This change addresses the dangers posed by electrical devices in wet areas.
  8. Tamper-Resistant Receptacles (406.12): The NEC has broadened the requirement for tamper-resistant receptacles to include more locations. This aims to protect individuals, especially children, from electrical injuries.
  9. GFCI for Pool Motors (680.21(C) & (D)): The NEC now requires GFCI protection for all pool pump motors, enhancing safety around water and electricity.

This is California Electrical Code based on the 2020 NEC. Your code might be different.

GFCI for Pool Motors (680.21(C) & (D)): The NEC now requires GFCI protection for all pool pump motors, enhancing safety around water and electricity.
(C) is not new and GFCI protection has been required for pool pump motors for as long as I can remember (two maybe three years);)

What's new is (D). I have always considered a replacement pump motor to be treated the same as a new motor however, I don't recall having ever seen a permit pulled for a pool pump motor.

(D) Pool Pump Motor Replacement. Where a pool pump motor in 680.21(C) is replaced for maintenance or repair, the replacement pump motor shall be provided with ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection.

There is a new exception to (C).

(C) GFCI Protection. Outlets supplying all pool motors on branch circuits rated 150 volts or less to ground and
60 amperes or less, single- or 3-phase, shall be provided with Class A ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection.

Exception: Listed low-voltage motors not requiring grounding, with ratings not exceeding the low-voltage contact limit that are supplied by listed transformers or power supplies that comply with 680.23(A)(2), shall be permitted to he installed without GFCI protection.

(C) is not new and GFCI protection has been required for pool pump motors for as long as I can remember (two maybe three years)
It most definitely is a change compared to the previous 2017 code cycle with the edition of 3 phase motors up to 60A and up to 150v to ground which were previously not required to be GFCI.

GFCI for Pool Motors (680.21(C) & (D)): The NEC now requires GFCI protection for all pool pump motors, enhancing safety around water and electricity.
Alrighty then. Why didn't you say that to begin with? Read what you wrote. It sounds like you're saying that prior to 2020, pool pump motors didn't require GFCI. In my world, if there is a pool pump motor it has GFCI protection. I don't care if it is 3-phase, in phase, out of phase, equipped with a phaser or pedal powered. But you did include the word "all" and I missed that.

Reach out to the dummies with your electrical for dummies. Dumb it down so that we get it too.

Last edited:
#3...I would state that it applies to replacements and not just new:

D) Replacement.
Where service equipment is replaced, all of the requirements of this section shall apply.

I think that I admitted that you pushed me into making a mistake. Ya that's the ticket... you pushed me.