• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Navigating the Legal Landscape: The Uniform Duties of Architects and Engineers

jar546

Forum Coordinator

Navigating the Legal Landscape: The Uniform Duties of Architects and Engineers​

By The Building Code Forum

In the complex web of state-specific statutes and regulations that govern the practices of architects and engineers across the United States, there lies a consistent set of core responsibilities. Despite the nuanced differences from one state to another, these foundational duties form the bedrock of professional practice in the architecture and engineering fields. This article delves into these common threads, shedding light on the uniform standards and obligations that ensure safety, ethics, and competence in the built environment.

The Common Ground​

Adherence to Codes and Regulations

At the forefront of their obligations, architects and engineers are mandated to design and oversee projects that strictly comply with local, state, and federal building codes and regulations. This commitment ensures the safety, accessibility, and sustainability of our structures, incorporating compliance with critical standards such as the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and environmental regulations.

Standard of Care

The concept of a "standard of care" is paramount in defining the expectations placed on professionals within these fields. It demands that architects and engineers perform their duties with the same level of skill and diligence as those reasonably competent in their profession. This standard is not just a guideline but a legal benchmark for evaluating professional practice, emphasizing the importance of knowledge and expertise in delivering safe and effective designs.

Ethical Obligations

Beyond technical competencies, ethical considerations are integral to the professional practice of architects and engineers. These professionals are entrusted with the public's safety and welfare, necessitating a conduct that embodies honesty, integrity, and fairness. Ethical guidelines navigate through potential conflicts of interest, confidentiality breaches, and professional behavior, ensuring that the professions maintain a trusted status within society.

Contractual Responsibilities

Entering into contracts with clients binds architects and engineers to a set of defined deliverables, timelines, and financial terms. Fulfilling these contractual obligations is not only a matter of professional integrity but also a legal necessity. It underscores the significance of clear agreements and the commitment to meet or exceed the client and project expectations.

Licensing and Continuing Education

The requirement for state-specific licensing underscores the importance of a validated, comprehensive education and a proven level of professional competency. Furthermore, the emphasis on continuing education as a requirement for license renewal reflects the profession's commitment to staying abreast of technological, regulatory, and methodological advancements.

Liability for Negligence

The legal implications of failing to meet the professional standard of care highlight the gravity of the responsibilities shouldered by architects and engineers. Liability for negligence serves as a stark reminder of the potential consequences of substandard practice, reinforcing the need for diligence, precision, and foresight in every project undertaken.

The Role of Reciprocity​

The concept of reciprocity across state lines plays a crucial role in promoting professional mobility while ensuring that architects and engineers meet a unified standard of knowledge and competence. This system facilitates the practice across different jurisdictions, provided professionals meet the stringent criteria set forth by the states offering reciprocity.

Conclusion​

As we navigate the responsibilities that bind the professions of architecture and engineering, it becomes clear that the safety, welfare, and satisfaction of the public and clients alike are paramount. These uniform duties, transcending state-specific variations, are a testament to the professions' commitment to excellence and integrity.

In an era where the built environment faces ever-evolving challenges and opportunities, the steadfast adherence to these core responsibilities ensures that architects and engineers continue to play a pivotal role in shaping our world safely, ethically, and sustainably.

I regularly have funders (and their attorneys) ask me as an architect to certify that my design complies with “all codes”.
I respond asking them if they want to include the Code of Hammurabi.
They back off to “all codes applicable to the project”.
Even then, “ordinary standard of care” is the only way that this is an insurable certification.

Last edited:
Standard of Care
The concept of a "standard of care" is paramount in defining the expectations placed on professionals within these fields. It demands that architects and engineers perform their duties with the same level of skill and diligence as those reasonably competent in their profession. This standard is not just a guideline but a legal benchmark for evaluating professional practice, emphasizing the importance of knowledge and expertise in delivering safe and effective designs.

The problem I face on a daily basis is that the average performance of design professionals is abysmally poor. Therefore, if the standard of care is "what another reasonably qualified professional would do in your area," the answer is "screw it up royally."

Ethical Obligations
Beyond technical competencies, ethical considerations are integral to the professional practice of architects and engineers. These professionals are entrusted with the public's safety and welfare, necessitating a conduct that embodies honesty, integrity, and fairness. Ethical guidelines navigate through potential conflicts of interest, confidentiality breaches, and professional behavior, ensuring that the professions maintain a trusted status within society.

The prevailing standard around here for professional ethics also seems to be in the toilet. We know of many licensed design professionals who will seal and sign anyone's drawings for between $150 and $500 a pop.

The Role of Reciprocity
The concept of reciprocity across state lines plays a crucial role in promoting professional mobility while ensuring that architects and engineers meet a unified standard of knowledge and competence. This system facilitates the practice across different jurisdictions, provided professionals meet the stringent criteria set forth by the states offering reciprocity.

There is no actual reciprocity for architects, anywhere in the United States. The closest thing to it is having NCARB certification, which allows architects to somewhat streamline the application process for licensure in other states. Without NCARB certification, even very experienced architects may have to take the exam over to get registered in other states. Even with NCARB certification, to get licensed in California I had to fly to California from the east coast, take a California-specific exam on seismic design, and sit through an oral interview in front of a panel from the licensing board.

I have been led to believe that one of the principles of professional designing is knowing your limits. I've worked with architects who are very well qualified to do some structural engineering, and some who aren't. But maybe that has changed in last 40 to 50 years.

Having worked for many architectural firms each with some or many registered architects, I have to disagree that the average is "abysmally poor". The average is not as good as it was when I started consulting in 1982, but it's ok. It may actually be improving as the first generation of CAD/Revit savvy operators are becoming experienced architects. I am cautiously optimistic.

As far as codes, which is only one aspect of good building design albeit the most important on TBCF, there are some deficiencies. Granted, for me it's about section 410 and 1030, a small segment but one where there are many occupants and the potential for large numbers of casualties. Based on what I see built, deficiencies must extend to the enforcement as well. So maybe some of the blame belongs to the educators and not the professionals alone, be they design, enforcement, or construction professionals. And if safety is not a feature of the educational programs, some of blame belongs to the educational institutions.

Regarding ordinary standard of care:
There’s a Russian saying from the Stalinist era, “show me the man, I’ll show you the crime”.
The American version is “a prosecutor can indict a ham sandwich”.
The point being that there are so many laws, codes and regulations, many of them unknown to the professional despite best intentions, that it is impossible for a person to fully comply. That’s why the AIA contract documents default to ordinary standard of care.