• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

NC Garage Legal Finish Requirement

Enginear

Newbie here. I just completed a 40x40 2 floor attached garage addition to my home (Wake County NC). The county inspector(s) refuse to grant a CO unless I sheet rock the entire 2 floor addition. I had not budgeted for this so I am stuck between a (sheet) rock and a hard place. The total sheet rock required would be astronomical. I suggested that I could sheet rock the interface between the addition and the existing house from foundation to roof peak, but they reiterated several times that they won't pass the addition unless I sheet rock the entire garage. I suspect this is a means to collect more taxes from me for a "finished" garage (living space) , and not a "legal"code requirement. I am a mechanic and I use the exposed studs to install shelving & equipment. The permit I applied for & received was for "lights & storage". There is no plumbing or HVAC. Would I be wrong to "press" the issue for just the fire code between the addition and the existing house, or do they have legal ground for failing my inspection?

The use of the second floor would have some bearing on this but generally, I think you should request the section of code that requires this.

In general, I believe just the wall that is common to living space (house).

I think you are going to need to protect all structural areas. Underside of the second floor structure, underside of the roof rafters, party wall to the house, load bearing exterior wall. I agree with bill, ask for a section number.

I suggested that I could sheet rock the interface between the addition and the existing house from foundation to roof peak
Well that’s a requirement here in California… I don’t know about NC code.

Is there exposed wiring or insulation?

Is this an attached garage to a dwelling, or a place of business? If your running a shop as a business, even a home one person business, thats different.

I think you are going to need to protect all structural areas. Underside of the second floor structure, underside of the roof rafters, party wall to the house, load bearing exterior wall. I agree with bill, ask for a section number.

Why?

Garages with exposed studs are extremely common, and don't violate the code.

R302.6 Dwelling-garage fire separation. The garage shall be
separated as required by Table R302.6. Openings in garage
walls shall comply with Section R302.5. Attachment of
gypsum board shall comply with Table R702.3.5. The wall
separation provisions of Table R302.6 shall not apply to
garage walls that are perpendicular to the adjacent dwelling
unit wall.

1706576181769.png

If the space above the garage isn't finished, it isn't a habitable space. Definition:

[RB] HABITABLE SPACE. A space in a building for
living, sleeping, eating or cooking. Bathrooms, toilet rooms,
closets, halls, storage or utility spaces and similar areas are
not considered habitable spaces.

An unfinished loft above a garage isn't used for living, sleeping, eating, or cooking. It's storage space, which by definition is not habitable space. If it's not habitable, the garage doesn't require a sheetrock ceiling, and if the ceiling doesn't require a separation then the walls that support it don't need to be protected. The only wall that requires a fire separation is the wall separating the garage from the house.

Here would be the separation to the dwelling and possibly the floor joists if they were less "than" 2x10...Covering the insulation per the installation instructions could be another twist....But the short answer is that there is no requirement to cover the structure....Think log cabin...

Clarification... the second floor is unfinished (studs) just for storage. It is not habitable space. The garage is 100% residential- not a business. The first floor has lights & outlets, the second floor only has a preexisting light fixture (exterior light) from the original house and no added wiring. The electrical passed inspection. There is no plumbing, no HVAC. There is no insulation. The "inspector" kept hinting that I should insulate the first floor ceiling- but I Ignored that comment with a smile. I have no intentions of morphing the second floor into habitable space. Lights & storage just as specified in the permit. I hope this helps. I think maybe I should just sheet rock the face between the addition and the existing structure to a "level 1" degree with 5/8" Fire Code and then ask for the code reference if they deny the CO. Thanks for all the suggestions. PS: I did look up the code and it is ambiguous in this regard. This is why I came here.

I think maybe I should just sheet rock the face between the addition and the existing structure to a "level 1" degree with 5/8" Fire Code and then ask for the code reference if they deny the CO.
Several times the OP has mentioned that he just might sheet rock the wall between the house and the garage. Can someone tell us if the NC code would require that as does the CRC.

R302.6 Dwelling/garage and/or carport fire separation.
The garage and/or carport shall be separated as required by Table R302.6. Openings in garage walls shall comply with Section R302.5. Attachment of gypsum board shall comply with Table R702.3.5. The wall separation provisions of TableR302.6 shall not apply to garage walls that are perpendicular to the adjacent dwelling unit wall. A separation is not required between the dwelling unit and a carport, provided the carport is entirely open on two or more sides and there are not enclosed areas above.
Screen Shot 2024-01-30 at 8.45.04 AM.png

The "inspector" kept hinting that I should insulate the first floor ceiling- but I Ignored that comment with a smile. I have no intentions of morphing the second floor into habitable space.
Insulation and even drywall would not create habitable space in a garage.

Last edited:
The first floor has lights & outlets
300.4 Protection Against Physical Damage.
Where subject to physical damage, conductors, raceways, and cables shall be protected.

Here again, I do not know what code is enforced in NC but in California... well some of California... okay, wherever I happen to be in California... exposed cable is not allowed. So in fact, drywall is a solution.

Standard 2021 IRC​

R302.6 Dwelling-garage fire separation.​

The garage shall be separated as required by Table R302.6. Openings in garage walls shall comply with Section R302.5. Attachment of gypsum board shall comply with Table R702.3.5. The wall separation provisions of Table R302.6 shall not apply to garage walls that are perpendicular to the adjacent dwelling unit wall.

TABLE R302.6
DWELLING-GARAGE SEPARATION
SEPARATION​
MATERIAL​
From the residence and attics​
Not less than 1/2-inch gypsum board or equivalent applied to the garage side​
From habitable rooms above the garage​
Not less than 5/8-inch Type X gypsum board or equivalent​
Structure(s) supporting floor/ceiling assemblies used for separation required by this section​
Not less than 1/2-inch gypsum board or equivalent​
Garages located less than 3 feet from a dwelling unit on the same lot​
Not less than 1/2-inch gypsum board or equivalent applied to the interior side of exterior walls that are within this area​

300.4 Protection Against Physical Damage.
Where subject to physical damage, conductors, raceways, and cables shall be protected.

Here again, I do not know what code is enforced in NC but in California... well some of California... okay, wherever I happen to be in California... exposed cable is not allowed. So in fact, drywall is a solution.

The inspector passed the electrical. The romex is between the studs and only in the walls, no ceiling wiring. They said romex is okay, armored cable (BX) is not necessary. Any locations where the romex goes through a stud (less than 6 places), a nailing plate is installed to protect the wire. The romex is stapled about every 18-24 inches. They gave me a thumbs up on the wiring, including the service entrance panel and buried conduit with service conductors. If exposed cable becomes an issue, I will replace it all with conduit or BX. Good point though. I will be curious to see if this becomes an issue.