• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

NC Residential Stairway Headroom Exception Question

kmg22523

I have a NC residential building code. My house was built in 2013 and completed in 2014. I am finishing my basement and I am finishing the basement steps. I have a couple of questions about my Winder Steps. I don't have enough room to change my stairway.
  1. When I finish my steps with Oak Treads do my steps need to meet the 2018 Building Code or does the 2012 Building Code still apply?
  2. If I must meet the 2018 Building code I need to extend the (3) Winder steps so that at the corner it is at least 4" instead of it only being about 2". To do this my middle Winder Step will extend under the ceiling (first floor) and becomes a Headroom issue. Basically a small triangle portion of the step near the hand rail extends under the ceiling. The step extends about 4" under the ceiling. So my second question is how do I interpret this Headroom Rule Exception and do you think this is something I can use?
R311.7.2 Headroom. The headroom in stairways shall be not less than 6 feet 8 inches (2032 mm) measured vertically from the sloped line adjoining the tread nosing or from the floor surface of the landing or platform on that portion of the stairway.

Exception: Where the nosings of treads at the side of a flight extend under the edge of a floor opening through which the stair passes, the floor opening shall be allowed to project horizontally into the required headroom not more than 4 3/4 inches (121 mm).

Thank You
Kevin

You could request a code modification to keep the present winder dimensions based on the fact that the existing structural floor opening is too small for the current winder dimensions.

Another thing to watch out for is keeping the riser heights the same. This will probably limit the thickness of the oak finish treads.